Monday, August 30, 2010

Mindless sewing!

I was in a mood today, couldn't get into anything creative.
Yesterday we opened our tent trailer and discovered that mice have been living in there and found a dead one, ick.
So, no camping this year. I will have to sanitize all the surfaces and anything not attached gets thrown out and replaced.
We do need a new canvas, so we will wait till next spring and replace everything then.

Today, I putted around the house and then decided to play with my scraps and try some hexagons.
I found the template online and using freezer paper, traced them onto that and cut them by hand.
I found the templates at Moxy Ideas. You can find the downloads on the right side and you can get different sizes; I used 1.5. ( If I had a Go cutter, it would have been easier;)

I sewed them by hand and they didn't come out too bad. I just tried to match up my points and eyeballed the 1/4 sewing mark, which I am sure I was off on, lol. This is a good project to use up your scraps and sew them until you have enough for a quilt. Now, how to make them into a quilt so they square off, I have no idea, guess I need to find a pattern. I am sure I have a pattern for them in one of my books. I was just too lazy to look through them.

The pink ones was my first try. I was using some of my prim scraps. The second ones are from my, too bright and fun pile, so maybe I will go with that theme, with dots and floral dot types.

10 comments:

moosecraft said...

Looking good, Debbie! I started a pile of those hexagons a couple of months ago... great for keeping your hands occupied while watching bad tv! LOL! Not sure about making a quilt with perfectly flat edges though...

Rugs and Pugs said...

Debbie ~
You did a great job eye-balling them. I think they look terrific.
Lauren

Lori said...

Your hexagons turned out really cute!

Texan said...

i think we all have a hexy quilt started :O). they are so pretty whats not to love!

Jacque. said...

WOW! Great job, Debbie! Hexies are so fun and something you can do anytime and anywhere. Or, so I hear. I have yet to try them.

Soggibottom said...

Well done Debbie, the hexagons look perfect. Want a loan of Frank :-) x x x

Rock River Stitches said...

Debbie, I need to do this with all my fabric scraps. This is a good project while watching tv.

Tammy

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

If you enjoyed making these you should take a look at Inklingo. You print the stitching lines on the back of your fabrics so you always have precision piecing.

You kind of have to see it to understand :) but a web search will bring it up.

Thanks for sharing your quilts, Sharyn

Anonymous said...

I've been missing your postings...geesh...this is what happens when I get overly busy! Keep trying for the GO!...many more will be giving it away!!

Abi said...

your hex flowers look great! and thanks for the link-back. I hope the templates came in handy :)