Friday, September 29, 2023

Cooking and crafting

 

This week I have been working on my new project, but I still have a bit of stitching to do. I also had a few  birds hit my sliding glass doors, so I need something to put on the upper half. I found a fun site that has Halloween cut outs, so I made a few and taped them to the window. So far, no bird strikes, so hopefully that did the trick. 

The ghosts are really simple to do and would be great for kids too. For the witch, I cut out the design from the print out, since it was black ink. You can find the pattern and others here at Love Paper.



I also made some Chalupa. I still have some tweaking to do, to get mine right, but it is not hard to make and it tastes delicious. I use mine as a snack and add homemade blueberry or apple jelly in mine. I also used it to make an egg sandwich, so a great bread to make as a treat. You can find the recipe at Cooking Carnival.



I had a new visitor to my yard this week, an Eastern Phoebe, a first for me.



We were able to spend an afternoon at our favorite beach. Now that summer is over, we can park in the private area and we have the beach to ourselves. Bean was loving being off leash and playing in the water.



It is also nice for birding, I actually had a Belted Kingfisher, stop long enough to snap a shot. 



And a pair of Laughing Gulls. 



We also stopped at the park, and I spotted a group of Great Egrets, of course they flew off, the minute I pulled out the camera.



We found more glass at the private beach but Bill found a large piece of blue glass at the park, so that was a fun find. More colors this time, off season is always better for hunting. 

I hope everyone has a nice weekend. We have more rain tomorrow, so hopefully we can get out on Sunday and find some early foliage. 



2 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

I will definitely be checking out that paper site - always fun to play with paper and scissors for a change and the chalupa recipe. I've never made those before and yours look wonderful. I had the Eastern Phoebes here this summer...Seems most of the birds are gone now - just crows, ravens, jays, woodpeckers and owls have stuck around. We've had a very rainy week and woke up to thunderstorms and more heavy rain here again today - but not as bad as New York thankfully. Enjoy your weekend! ~Robin~

Fiona said...

sticking paper on the door for a while is a good idea.... poor little birds. I don't know Chalupa so will go and have a look.... lovely bird pictures....
Hugz