Friday, October 9, 2020

Weekend Wanderings!

 

We have been keeping busy with drives and finding new places, as well as visiting old places. A lot of foliage is showing now, but I can never find a place to get good shots. Today I found some nice places and of all times, my camera has stopped focusing. I will have to take it in to see what is going on, hopefully not an expensive fix. I am looking at buying a new body to hold my zoom lens so I can just grab and shoot and maybe not miss shots, like I did this week.

Our first stop Thursday was a graveyard, always fun when I find a new one. Lots of old grave and we enjoyed walking around and reading some of them. To the side was this sign and small stones to mark the graves.



As we were walking on a hillside area, I looked down the hill and saw a grave, all by itself. Of course I had to see what was on it and why it was there. As you can see from the stone, he committed suicide after he murdered a Doctor's daughter. I read that they were lovers and the family didn't approve, so he killed her, then himself. Another says he loved her, but she didn't feel the same way, so it was unrequited love. 


Our next stop was a pond. As you can see in this photo, there are two hawks, battling it out. One zoomed by my face, one over my face and I grabbed this shot with a regular lens. Then an eagle flew over my head and before I could get my zoom set up, he was gone. The sky was full of crows, they were chasing the hawks and eagle.


We walked along the path to a big field and walked through that to old cornfields, but no eagle in sight. I did find a few wasp nests, and glad it was cold and windy. Definitely not a place to go to in the warm weather.




Our final stop was the fabric store. They have tons of fabric, but nothing that I was looking for. I did find a fun kitty print, to make a few masks for me and the boys. Then a rustic flag print for Bill and the ghosts glow in the dark, so the boys will love that.




Today I wanted an easy day, a ride to the quiet side of Connecticut to stop at a few places and the primitive store to get a new pump for my soap jar. We stopped at a dam first, that is when I went to use my camera. I think dropping it the other day didn't help, I did notice my photos were not the usual quality. Then we stopped at Roseland park to enjoy the views. It is a beautiful park and the colors were coming in nicely. The iPhone did a fairly nice job though.



Our last stop was Wolf's Den. I wanted to do the hike we couldn't do with the boys and I figured it was an easy 2 miles. I was wrong, we walked 7 1/2 miles, up and down steep hills, lol. My legs got tired and weak, but I made it to the Wolf's den and the other interesting sites. I seriously think I need a rest day tomorrow. It will be warmer, so sitting at the ocean for a few hours will be fine with me. 



5 comments:

acorn hollow said...

great outings and the pictures are good even without your camera.
We are in for a storms today Thur the forecast was sunny and 70's Friday night the forecast is rain, wind and could spawn a tornado yikes! I swear they don't want to say it so all the tourist are up here looking at good weather.
cathy

Kate said...

Great pix Debbie and I love the glow in the dark ghost fabric - the boys will love it for sure!

Rugs and Pugs said...

William Irving's gravestone is so cool. I have never seen a stone with detail such as that...lol!
I am simply amazed at all the places you have to explore and hike. 7 1/2 miles? Ouch! Good thing you didn't try to do it with the boys.

Julie Fukuda said...

It has been an interesting trip with quite a variety of finds. Even without a fine working camera, you managed some wonderful shots. It seems our typhoon has passed but the clouds and cold still linger. I will have to make due with other bloggers fun trips.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Such fascinating places you get to visit!!! I am glad that you ventured down to get a closer look at Mr. Irving's stone....Like Lauren said, I have never seen a headstone with such details...especially of the morbid sort like that. I also find it interesting that his grave is separated from the others....especially after all this time. Love all the stones too....So tell me, is the wolf's den a real wolf's den??? Wishing you Sunday blessings ~Robin~