This weekend, one of my groups had a virtual retreat and flowers was the theme.
I decided to make a piece based on a fraktur and then I got the brilliant idea to use some old pearl cotton I had.
I realized after I used it, that it was thicker than the ones in the store. Not a good idea. I made a few holes, in the eye area, so I double punched it and then used glue to make sure the floss would stay. I ended up using 6 strand floss for the background and punching it in a one height, so the design which is in a 3 height stands out. Hard to see in a picture. So, now I know, do not use thick cottons on weavers cloth;)
Then I decided to try watercolor on some laid paper I bought. I read that the original frakturs were done on laid paper. I usually use heavier weight water color papers. I used a freebie design by Twigs N Sprigs to make this cute little picture with saying. It is done in black ink and then I used watercolor pencils for the colors. After I painted it, I let it dry a bit and then used watered down antique ink to age the paper. It came out nicely and the paper held up well, to the water.
Then today, I decided to over dye some floss. I used rit dye over pinks and purples. I used about 1 part black, 1 part green and 2 parts red. I tend to add colors and when it looks right, I pour it in.
Here is what it started out as.
And this is what I ended up with.T he purples go from light to dark shades and the pinks are dark to light. It will be fun to see how they punch up.
Lancaster County's Unusual Samplers
15 hours ago