Thursday, April 16, 2009

Experiments in Staining

I have been working on a couple of my own new pieces, as well as Lynette's new designs.
This piece was one I found from an old sampler and wanted to try the dog and cat in my own version of a punch.
I just loved the funky shapes and the stick legs.

First is a picture of the piece, after I finished it, as is.

I then used the Walnut ink and it came out ok, but the flower was too bright. So, I decided to use the Java ink, which is black.
The thing about black is that it is made from various colors and I didn't think to shake the bottle first, ugh. This is what happened, the colors ran into the colors that made up the black, so it looks like the colors ran. Sometimes mistakes happen, but that is how we learn, or at least remember to shake before spraying;)

For those of who asked and did not see the original post, I use Walnut ink made by Tsukinek. You can look up the product online and see where they sell it retail. That is the best way to find out if you can buy it in your area. I usually use the walnut ink on my punch needle pieces and the Java ink on extreme prim pieces. I will be including instructions on my methods with the new patterns that come out.

Don't forget to check out the free pattern and contest, it is still going on!


Joanne said...

Great prim piece Debbie - love how you "antique" your work

Jacque. said... goof. But, ya really looks 'primitive' now!!! Had to smile at the dog/cat...what a fun piece! You so rock!

primitivebettys said...

That is a charmingly sweet punch! :)

Carrie ~ said...

Thanks for sharing about your antiquing. I do like the legs of the dogs too.

JoJo said...

It's great, Debbie, simply great!

appleberrycottage said...

Cute piece! Just go over the entire thing with more stain for an extreme primitive feel. I've had many stitcheries on muslin that have come out a little darker than expected - it's part of the fun.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful piece and thanks for sharing your 'secret' with us!

Donna Knight