Friday, May 3, 2024

Friday: Almost finished


 I tried to push my punching so I could finish my piece. It is finished, but a mess. I did use less floss and that tend to be more puffy, so it looks sloppy. Since I am tired and don't want to leave it like that, I will fix up the problem areas and bad contrast on some areas, so it stands out more. The photo makes it look worse, but you can get the idea, this is what happens when you rush.



Last weekend we took the boys fishing. They love to fish, but have no luck. I think it is because they have small lures and no weight to cast out, far enough. Others were catching fish, but they were using live bait, so we will have to get some better gear for them.



The park also has a lot of hiking areas. The boys enjoyed exploring the areas around the pathways. There are a lot of birds there too, but with noisy boys, it is hard to get any shots. 



The next day Bill and I went for a ride into Connecticut. We stopped at a few places and did some hikes, but couldn't catch any birds that day. We enjoyed getting out and Bean got to have fun too. I really want to come here with the RV and spend the day. The problem is, the road has been collapsing so there is no way we can get it there. 



During the week, Bill had to take a day off for an early appointment, so we had the day to get out. We went to a new place that is owned by the college. They have several areas for gardens and fisheries and allow visitors. 

We walked along a path to an area that is full of trees, all types that the students plant and study. It is also a place full of birds. We heard a lot and saw a few that were too quick to shoot, but I was able to catch quite a few,  and the grove is so peaceful, that I enjoyed just walking around, under the trees. 



In some areas they also had bee hives. It was warming up and you could hear them, so we kept our distance. I think I will go back and bring my portable seat and just sit there.



We took the scenic route home and as we were heading out of the Lighthouse road, we saw a few cars and people milling around. This is why, a Snapping turtle was crossing the road. I got out and took a few shots and then a local lady and I walked along his side, till he got back to the pond side. 



And at home, I have seen an influx of new birds and our summer visitors are returning. Today we spotted a huge Woodpecker, so hoping it will come back for a photo. It looked like a Downy, but bigger than a Hairy should be, so not sure what it was. 

I hope you all have a nice weekend and good weather. We have Alex's first communion tomorrow, and possible rain on Sunday. I am looking forward to nicer weather, but not the heat of summer.



4 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

I'm not seeing it in person, but I'm not seeing what you are seeing wrong with your punched mat - it looks really nice to me. That new place you found sounds great. I love that photo of the finch (??) on the branch (the photo in the upper left of the collage with the hawk and beehives). Such wonderful composition - it could be a painting. I hope the first communion goes well and you have the good weather you're hoping for. Yesterday was a beautiful day here and I thought today was supposed to be as well but, nope, rain and damp-cold. I had an appt and errands today and by the time I got home I was just chilled to the bone. ~Robin~

Rugs and Pugs said...

The punch needle piece looks good to me, too.
The boys are lucky that you are making so many memories with them!
Happy first Communion to Alex.

Rugs and Pugs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
acorn hollow said...

You are busy as always. It is nice to you get wonderful time with the boys.
Cathy