Friday, August 11, 2023

Friday Finish!

 

I finally finished my angel quilt. The pattern is by Cheri Payne and offered as a free pattern in her Facebook group. I changed it up a little, but it is mostly the same as the original, except for the dragonfly, which was on another pattern in the pack.



Last week we went to the sunflower field. It wasn't as crowded so we enjoyed a stroll through the pathways that cut through the field.



On Sunday we went on a paddle in the cove, at the park on the island. The tide was up so I was able to come around and get closer to one of the nesting Ospreys. The young are getting big and love the look on their faces.



On another cove, I spotted this Loon and it seemed like something was wrong.



I watched as it finally moved and made its way to the water. It wasn't able to walk and dragged its feet. I looked it up online when I got home and found out, Common Loons cannot walk on land and they rarely come out of the water, except to nest. They also need 30 feet of water to take off, so I learned something new. I think it was a young one and just. resting or maybe got stunned while out, but it seemed fine, once it go on the water.



And we paddled into more open waters as we came around. This was one of our views, looking up into the bay.



And lots of boats in the area, this one passing the old lighthouse on Dutch Island.



And at home, more birds are coming to the feeders, migration won't be far away. The hummingbirds are more active, filling up with fuel for their long flight south.

I hope everyone had a nice week and enjoying the last days of summer. 



2 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Cute little quilt. Yes, loons are quite peculiar...there are quite a few at the lake and there are nesting platforms that are specially made for them. The lake residents are quite protective of them. Those osprey crack me up. ~Robin~

acorn hollow said...

Sweet quilt. Love the sunflower field I have never seen a loon like that?
Cathy