Friday, April 21, 2023

Working on Friday!

 

This week has been busy with walks and bird watching, but I managed to start a new project. I got an appliqué top from a friend, with a nautical theme and I wanted to work on that now, so I can have it for the summer.

The piece is square, so I decided to leave it as is and do some fun quilting. It will make a nice wall hanging. I got the design from a book I have, then I had to freehand it onto the quilt, since I didn't have any transfer pencils. Not bad, a little wonky, but I don't mind. I started with a blue marker to fit it in, then used the white chalk pencil to redo a few parts to even it out. I am working with white pearl cotton so the designs stand out. 



Last weekend we tried a new hike. It was a beautiful area with lots of hills, but it was warm and buggy, so we only did 4 miles. I will go back to hike more of the trails in this area. It is old farm area, so a lot of cellar holes and I spotted some old cars near an old foundation.



We followed a few streams which was nice, since those areas were cooler. Lots of birds in the area, but they were all hiding in the tall trees.



Another day we went for a ride, to find Osprey nests. I found a lot of nests but here are a few unique ones. This guy was nesting on a light pole and moved over to this one when I got too close. 



I found this pair in someones chimney. I guess they won't be using it, this year.



We made a stop at the beach and I got a wonderful surprise, when I spotted this guy, laying on the beach. It is a Northern Gannet, which live in areas like Newfoundland. Not sure if he was lost of making a stop on his way home, but I thought he was hurt since he could barely walk. I found out later that, they do not do well on land. They stay in the water and only go on rocky cliffs to nest, so once he went to the water, he seemed fine.



We also spotted some Sanderlings. They are fun to watch, running in and out of the water.



And this gull was funny. He got a crab, a live one. He found out the hard way, the crab did not like being eaten.




In the marsh, I spotted this Snowy Egret.



During the week, we went for a hike to see the seals before they leave. It seems the point is always windy, so hard to hold steal for shots.



This seagull was making faces for me.



On the way out, we spotted a family of deer. There were five in all, and this one posed for me. I hope you all had a good week and enjoy your weekend. We have one decent day and then rain, so hiking day and rest day for me.



2 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your bird pictures are simply amazing!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your photos are absolutely mesmerizing, Debbie! How I wish you could teach me even a small morsel of how to take photos like you do. Although all are incredible, I'm especially in love with the sanderlings. That needs to be made into a print and framed and displayed. It's the sort of thing I'd love at the lake house. Your new hiking area sounds wonderful too - I'd love to see the old cellar holes....it just fascinates me how people just walk away and the earth swallows things back up...and how old, discarded, things sometimes can become works of art. Not a pleasant week here in Nod...the week ahead sounds no better either. ~Robin~