Friday, January 27, 2023

Friday Finish!

 

Another week that went by too fast and I didn't get as much done, as I had planned. I was able to finish the stitching on my Christmas piece, so now I have to cut it to size and add a border, then I can quilt it. I decided to try a little chick, with needle felting. 

I had a photo of one I wanted to make, but mine came out differently, since I started with a cookie cutter. I made the mistake of peeking to see how it looked and it puffed out of the frame. So, I had to do the rest without the frame. I will try more and try to get it a little more rounder, like the original one, but fun to practice and I did better on the eye, this time.



Last weekend we went to Connecticut and checked out a few of the ocean areas. We went to the point and enjoyed some of the views and watched the ferries. It is a nice spot since you can sit in the car and not be outside too much, way too cold.

The lighthouse at the top left, is all that is left of the Little Gull lighthouse. My grandfather was a keeper there, at one time. It had a large home with several families living there, but storms have washed away, most of the island.



Then we drove to the UConn campus down the road, lucky kids, who get to go to this campus.



On the way home, we spotted this funny scene, in a marina.



The next day we stayed local and went to the island. I never get sick of walking on the beaches, and I even found a marble.



We also went to the point and walked around for a bit. Another place that has spectacular views of the ocean and Newport.



A close up of the lighthouse, behind Bill and Bean.



A hidden fort on the hill.



And this Red-tailed hawk, landed nearby, just as we were getting back in the car.

I hope everyone had a nice week and fun plans for the weekend.



5 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Always lovely pictures and you are so prolific with your crafting you seem to accomplish something each week. I am still working on the same old rug.
have a great week
Cathy

julieQ said...

What a lovely bird! Your beach pictures always inspire me!

Fiona said...

Wonderful ocean walks and pictures..... I love that little duck!

Hugz

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your felted duck turned out wonderfully Debbie!! The eye made me look twice - it almost looked like glass at first. I've never used a cookie cutter for doing my dimensional felting. Hmmm. I love the photos of the lighthouses. They have always fascinated me - especially the ones with the grand houses by them isolated on an island. So sad about the Little Gull Lighthouse - the ocean is slowly stealing all its memories. My head is going to be filled with plots for novels tonight I can just tell. No outdoor time here....Another storm on Friday brought lots more snow and blowing and drifting...and now bitter cold with wind chill advisories. Just hoping my pipes don't freeze. Have a good new week. ~Robin~

TheCrankyCrow said...

PS...yes, that campus looks amazing!