Friday, December 10, 2021

Friday Finish!

 

Another week has gone by and a few more weeks for Christmas. I have gotten out my packages and most cards, so I can relax now.  I finally got a change to do the stitchery of the month, by Kathy Schmitz. I decided to use up the last of my balsam and making a pillow for my neighbor. 

I used glitter yellow thread on the stars and ties, to give it a fun pop.



At home I am still able to get out, even though the days are cooler, but the fresh brisk air, does wonders for my energy levels. We went to the docks to see what was going on and stumbled onto an event. They were doing a 24 hour polar plunge for Special Olympics. Every hour for 24 hours, they jumped in. Way too cold for me.



While waiting, I caught this guy.  He was trying to break it by dropping it in the sand, but he finally figured out, he had to drop it on the nearby rocks to crack it open.



Then we sat and watched the boats come in. The parking is at the entrance, so we can sit in the warm car and enjoy watching them.



The next day we went to Moonstone Beach. I haven't been in ages and wanted to see what it was like and do some birding. Unfortunately, no dogs are allowed, I thought that was just during breeding season, so we couldn't stay. I got out to take a few picts of the beach and actually found a green piece of glass, laying on the ground. 




We drove down the back road and followed the coastline till we found a private beach that is open to all, off season. If you look at the photo above, you can see the house in the distance, that is where the other beach starts. 

And this is the beach we ended up going to. The tide was the lowest, I have ever seen, so we enjoyed looking through the rock piles for treasures. Not as much glass, but what we found was nice and a few large pieces. The house you could see in the last photo, is at the end of this beach.




And this is the house, it has been through a few hurricanes and been moved a few times. The original area was grassy with a lot of summer homes, but the ocean has claimed all but 3. The one next to it, was a carriage house and all that remained of the main house. 




Today I was out walking Bean and spied a hawk, scouting the area. Once he was gone, my feathered friends came back for the food I had put out. I hope you all had a wonderful week and can find your own ways to get out and explore your area.

The big guy is a Red Shouldered Hawk. Then a Dark Eyed Junco, White Breasted Nuthatch, Tufted Titmouse and another nuthatch.



7 comments:

acorn hollow said...

So sad about they ocean claiming the houses. Love your finish.
I think we have a hawk in the area not many birds and I have caught a large bird flying off but not enough to get a look at what kind it was. Freezing rain this morning I would prefer a foot of snow.
Cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

That gull is a hoot with his head upside down trying to crack his dinner LOL. Fantastic photo. But oh, my...that wonderful old house. What stories it could tell!!! Kinda eerie and melancholic with the ocean claiming all the other homes. I wondered why the beach (which looks beautiful!) had so few homes.... We are knee deep in snow here (another 10" last night), so no beach combing for us...even if we had a beach. ;-) ~Robin~

Fiona said...

lovely post... lots of different things. Great that you are getting out even with it cooling...
Hugz

Rugs and Pugs said...

You always make the sweetest little pillows!
Bless those people doing the polar plunge for such a good cause. I couldn't do it once let alone 24 times. I guess that is part of being young and crazy!

Julie Fukuda said...

I love your arty pillows and your weekend adventures. Your area has quite a wide variety of beaches.I like your bird pictures too. I will be having a bird hike with my scouts in January. They need to identify ten animals in the wild and in Tokyo, winter birds are the best possibility.I miss the nature I grew up with.

Nisha nehwal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Olde Dame Holly said...

I absolutely love the mustard trim on your latest pillow. I think yellows and mustards are very underutilized in our time! That Polar Bear plunge is CRAZY. I can't even imagine doing that. There are some hearty souls in our world!