Friday, August 10, 2018

Friday this and that!


This has been a hectic week. My car died on Saturday and Bill decided our car was getting too old to trust on trips, so we went car shopping, or more like truck shopping. I am a minimalist, I don't like a lot of fancy things that just confuse me, but most cars now, have it built in. I also was shocked at the prices and payments, I am not used to that either, so I said I would think on it.

Of course if you say that and walk away, they start making deals and calling you, so we ended up getting a deeper discount and with a trade in and Bills work discount, we got a deal I could live with and lower payments. Now I need to learn how to drive it, I have been sick this week, so no desire to go out at all. It will carry more weight, so in the future we can get a larger trailer with room for the kids.


I also finished my jungle panel. Now I need to get some thick foam so I can make an over sized pillow cushion, but was also wondering if I added a matching sized seat, if I could make it into a mini couch for the kids, when they come over. So, I will look up patterns and see if I can figure it out.

Here is a bit of the stitching, hard to see since I used black pearl cotton, but I stitched over the gold lines to tone it down a bit.

And what is that little guy, peaking from the side? My newest project, I decided to hand sew the shapes on the panel and it needs to be done by next weekend. I will machine quilt the sides, so hopefully I can do it.


With the rain and car shopping, I didn't have much time to go beach combing. We were able to go to his sisters for a long swim and as the tide was going out, I did a quick search and found some nice chunks that had just washed up.


And I painted a few more rocks, these are hearts I found on the same beach, this month. There are lots of rocks with shapes, so I will have to find some more and stock up for later. I kept these simple, it takes forever to get coverage with some colors, so I did dots to decorate with and it works up fast that way.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, we have another soaker, coming in tomorrow. Really miss going to the regular beaches, so hopefully with school starting, they will be less crowded.

I also cannot answer some comments, but I do read them all and appreciate each one. With people using new readers, I cannot find email addresses.


10 comments:

Fiona said...

Hi Debbie, you will learn your new vehicle in no time and it will feel like you always had it soon... much better to have something safe and reliable.

I love the panel and the stitching is just right.... lovely. Great rock painting too … always such fun reading.

Hugz

julieQ said...

What a pretty new truck! My car is a 2009...but not too many miles on it, so I am just keeping it until it drops, I guess!! Of course, I am glad you are showing your beach glass...so pretty!

kelley said...

nice truck! I would definitely need to learn how to drive and park something that big...will be great to fit the kids into...my car is a 2008 but like Julie low mileage...I priced something new and the sticker shock sent me away...great painted rocks...

Rugs and Pugs said...

That is one big truck. I had never driven anything that big, but my son has a similar one that I drove when is Las Vegas. Scared the bejesus out of me!!!

Julie Fukuda said...

I dread the possibility of my van dying. It just had its big inspection ... I think every three years is the big one, and it is still working fine. About three years go, I had to leave it in the shop and they let me have a new car for the duration. Oh, the bells and whistles that I could happily do without!

Allie-oops Designs said...

I LOVE all the bells and whistles. The new ones, some at least, come with wi-fi hotspots built in! And I do love driving a truck, I like being able to see ahead of me. Love your heart rocks!!!! And that pretty stitching!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Nice truck! I am sure you will easily get into driving it. Sorry to read you have been sick. Love your heart rocks! Have a happy day!

The Eveningstitcher said...

Love the truck, Deb and you will too!! The sticker shock and payments are mindblowing!! But, in the end it is worth having a reliable vehicle. I love your jungle print and your sea glass....so pretty! Have a great week!

Sandi said...

Congrats on your new vehicle it looks lovely. Never grew up with a family truck so I'm not keen on them.

You stitching looks great. Love your rock painting.

We were supposed to get a lot of rain over the weekend and got almost none. Cooler temps but heating up again. We did get almost 150 more fires, we've got more burning than last year but fortunately not as big.

Feel better soon.

moosecraft said...

That's such a cute panel! Your quilting is the perfect accent to the design! I'm patiently waiting for the humidity and downpours to leave our area too. Looking forward to fall! :-)