Friday, September 1, 2017

Rocking and Stitching!


I had more rocks to paint, so I decided to get them done and ready for our trip next week. We will be camping near several ocean beaches and areas that people visit, so I can leave some in each place.

I rushed as usual, my arm still hurts and I don't have good control, so did the best I could and got them done. I think if i do more later, I will think them out better and I do think it would be fun to find different shapes to make pumpkins for the fall.

Some of the designs I get from ideas on the internet and some I just freehand. I also have a limited color palette so I use what I have. Luckily I know how to mix colors, so I just made my own shades when needed. The moons I did because it will be a full moon next week, so I am hoping I can watch it rise over the ocean.


Today I was going to clean the house, but I had a couple of rocks and I thought, why not just do them and then I can clean up the mess on my table. The two whales were done, but I didn't like how they looked, but I couldn't figure out what to do to them, so I just added a little color to make them fun. I also did a sunset, I think the ocean ones will be nice to leave at camp or areas that I consider safe to leave them. I always worry they will get lost or fall over, so I am careful about where to place them. One area has a seamen's memorial, for those lost at sea, another good spot to leave one. The fun kid ones, will go near beaches.


I have also been working on my stitchery, it is taking longer than I thought and it seems I have less time at night, so I need to make more me time, for crafting. I think I will stop painting rocks and work on christmas pillows that I can hide, much easier and I can do those faster, so I can make more if i do a few at a time.

I am a bit off with my brain and switched colors without realizing it, I had a brown/gold on the moon area, then went to a dark gold, not sure if i should fix it or leave as is and do the rest in dark gold. I am thinking the darker gold on the moon area, gives it a naive look? Or should I fix it, and if so, what color looks best. I like to add a bit of color without over doing it. Later I will change the initials, but wondering, as a gift, should I use the person's initials or mine as the maker?

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend. We have one nice day, then rain and two hot days for our vacation, so definitely spending time at the beach. I may post Monday before we leave, if i do anything exciting this weekend, otherwise I will post later in the week.



11 comments:

Janet said...

I love your "rocks".What an absolutely fabulous idea to leave them in places for other people to find them. 😊

Robin said...

You are so talented! The rock art is beautiful. Speaking of beauty would you let me know the title and designer of the embroidery shown above. I would very much like to get a copy to make myself. Thanks. (robinsbusiness@hotmail.com)

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

Your rocks rock! And I don't think you should 'fix' the embroidery. The golds look awesome just as is as if you had planned it that way.

Julie Fukuda said...

What kind of paint are you using on the rocks? They really are ever so cleaver.

Saundra said...

Rock paintings are cute and guess your grandson enjoys watching those develope as well.

kelley said...

love those rocks...folks are going to tickled finding them...

Fiona said...

oh I love your rocks... such great little art pieces. i wouldn't have noticed the colour changes without you mentioning them... it's a sweet little stitchery
Hugz

Rugs and Pugs said...

The rocks are just too cute!
Happy Labor Day :)

Karen said...

My favorite rock is the fish shaped one in red with a blue tail.

Charlotte said...


Very cute rocks. Nice stitching too.

Charlotte

janie said...

Love the rocks!!! Hope your trip is fun!

Janie