Friday, November 4, 2011

Mini Christmas Hexagons!

After I finished the punch needle, I decided I wanted to make a mini hexagon quilt and use homespuns. I tried to stick with more green and some red, but I don't have much in scraps for those colors and I didn't want to get into my fat quarters for this. I used the accuquilt small hexagon and 1/4" seam. I do not use paper, I mark the seam lines and sew them together. For this one, I used the machine to sew the pieces into rows, then I hand sewed the rows together. I usually sew all my hexagons by hand, but for the straight seam, it seemed to make more sense to save some time and my fingers. I bordered it with greens to keep a Christmas look and used floss to do the tacks. I haven't stained it yet, still trying to decide if I should leave it as is, or maybe add a little snowflake applique or something like that in a corner?

I decided to let one of my old kitties, show it off.



14 comments:

Linda said...

Mini Christmas Hexies turned out awesome!!!! Looks like an antique. I love it!!

Fiona said...

That has worked out so well... lovely Christmas hexagon quilt...
Hugz

Quilting by the Lake said...

Love this one Debbie! Really cute! I might have to dig out that Hexagon template I have.

~Madalynne~ said...

Awwww . . . cute little kittie. Love the way the quilt turned out!

Karmen said...

I like how you put that together; part machine and part hand work. Brilliant! You have inspired me once again. AND I LOVE that kitty!
Karmen

Jacque. said...

You did a great job with this, Debbie! Looks great with the kitty, too.

moosecraft said...

I love it as is!!! Want my address? lol! The snowman in the previous post is another goodie... at first glance I thought it was quilted. :-)

Anna said...

clever girl you are Debbie! I would have never thought to do both machine and hand on those hexagons!

Anonymous said...

CA-UTE!!!! Also love that punchneedle number in your previous post!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Love this little quilt Debbie....so very sweet....(And I like it as is....simple and charming....) Have a great weekend! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Angie said...

I love it!! I want one JUST LIKE IT!! :D

annie said...

Just beautiful!

Carrie P. said...

I think that is the first time I have seen the hexies done in homespuns. I like them a lot in those fabrics.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

This is adorable and I love the kitty!