Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Weekend Wanderings: Part two


On Sunday we went for another Drive in Connecticut and into Massachusetts. There are so many scenic roads and old towns, you never tire of exploring. This time we went on a familiar route to revisit some places we had been to before. I was hoping to catch the foliage before it was gone, but most areas in the upper areas, was already fading away.

We started with a stop at a North Grosvenordale Pond to enjoy the views and go for a walk. The foliage was turning nicely here and watching the kayakers, makes me want to come back next year to paddle on the pond, which continues on into rivers.


We walked along the pathway and enjoyed a good hike, views of a hidden pond and found this old fireplace from a home, long forgotten.


Our destination was Southbridge, a town just below Sturbridge Village. The town was fun to explore and we enjoyed views of the dams and waterfalls around the old mills.


You can't help but see Spires from all the old churches in the area. You can't walk a block without running into one. I wish we could have gone in this Catholic church, I can imagine how beautiful it is inside.


This one was across the street, as well as a Dunkin Donuts and we were due for a coffee refill. So while Bill was getting coffee I was able to get a shot of this church. Just love the architecture of the old churches.


And while I was waiting I spotted a fun house across the street. Talk about bright colors and the birds seemed to enjoy making it their home.


As we headed down the road, I spotted this church. It was massive and this is just the front, and it had signs for no trespassing, so I couldn't walk around to the back.


Our final destination was the graveyard. I had gotten some beautiful shots last year with the foliage and I wanted to try it with my new camera. Unfortunately, the foliage had faded but it was fun walking around and looking at the gravestones.


On the way home I had planned a different route but we took so long in town, that it started to rain on the way back, so that was the end of our exploring. It was getting late and we were getting tired and hungry;)

Yesterday I went to our old town, Wickford, to take photos of the church. There was a little color, but we have not gotten full foliage here and it is spotty, so not sure if we will get a full array before it is gone. No matter what, the church grounds are always beautiful and peaceful.


Today I tried my video on the camera. Bean likes to do flips and funny things when I throw the balls, but of course he would not cooperate and it is hard to throw well, while holding a camera. I put them in the computer to view them and guess who decided to hop up and watch them, lol. Izzy heard the birds in the background, she still doesn't get that they are not in the computer. I hope you enjoyed my photos and maybe you can explore your own areas, and always fun to get lost in the backroads of america.


12 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your first picture is stunning but I xpecially loved seeing the church pictures!
You and Bill explore the best places.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Summer said...

Stunning! Kitty and the computer looks so adorable ♥

Melody said...

I know I've said it before, but you live in and visit such beautiful places.

paulette said...

Gorgeous photos! Thanks for taking us along!!

Sandi said...

You are so fortunate to live in a lovely historic and beautiful place. Gorgeous pictures once again.

Karen said...

Pretty picture with the brilliant leaf colors reflecting in the water.

Fiona said...

i love the reflection in the first picture.... wonderful. It's great seeing those lovely church buildings... all so different
Hugz

kelley said...

love seeing all the old churches...Izzy is too cute checking out the videos...you need to show her some with chipmunk...

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful churches--such unusual painting on the one church

Kyle said...

I always enjoy going on your outings. You live in a beautiful part of the country.

Dog Trot Farm said...

Another get outing...Love the photo of Izzy checking out Bean...fun...

Julie Fukuda said...

It doesn't look as though we are going to get much color this year. The dogwoods which are usually red and yellow all turned a dark reddish brown and the persimmons are dropping leaves before they turn color at all. Tuesday I was outside Tokyo and saw some bright yellow ginkgos but those here have not even begun to change color and my maples are just grayish brown. Your pictures are so much more colorful in comparison. Buildings are attractive too.