Friday, June 21, 2024

Friday vacation: NOT

 

This was not my week for vacation, even though it started out ok. Our first day was a paddle on the lake. The weather was nice, but the wind was awful, so we were only able to paddle along the back cove since the wind was too hard to paddle against. Of course Bean was happy, he got to go swimming in the shallow waters.



The next day we went to the kayak store and got a tandem kayak. I wanted something safe and something we could both paddle, to make it easy to cross to the islands in the bay. We got out gear and tested it in the local cove. It wasn't as easy to paddle as I was hoping and we were both dogged when we got back. Later that evening, we both got sicker and realized we were sick. Then Bill got email from a coworker to let him know, he had gone home sick and had covid, lucky us. The good thing is, we can fit bean and the boys with Bill in this kayak, a lot better.



The next day I stayed home since I felt like garbage. I sat in the back yard and caught a few of the birds that love the berries on the Mulberry tree. I am still trying to get the colorful orioles.



The next day I decided I needed an upgrade for my phone. The new ones have better pixels and camera capabilities, and the battery lasts longer. I was able to catch this baby Wren in the nest, we have 4 different houses with wrens in them, this year.



We spent a couple of days at the lighthouse. It has been too humid, but the ocean areas had cool breezes. Perfect place to get out for some easy walks and fresh air.



We have had a lot of wind this week. I love watching the boats as they battle the waves. This one was a group of kids, learning to sail. They ended up taking the sail down and turning back, I guess it was too much for them to learn on.



There are lots of Red-winged Blackbirds on the island, this one was guarding his territory, his mate was nesting nearby.



Today we went out for a paddle, I took my peddle boat. It was a beautiful day and not too windy. As you can see, it was low tide, so I had to stay in the channels. I have long peddles underneath, so the water has to be deep enough to move.



We went up the cove and landed on the inner beach. Beautiful views and we were able to take a swim on the bay side, where it was deeper.



I took a close up of the light at the end, with my zoom. I didn't realize that there was a nest on top. 



And a view from the beach landing. The clouds were coming in, but the storm wasn't expected for hours. So we headed back into the cove and went around the islands. At the last one, I got stuck in mud, so bill tried pushing me forward with his boat to get into deeper water, but there was none. I finally got half his paddle and had to single paddle out of the muck. It too forever to get through it and moving was hard with a half paddle and just as I got into deeper water, the storm hit. So, we were trying to paddle, which isn't easy with a flat stand up boat and lightening was coming down.



We made it to shore, just as it started to rain, then it started to pour. Luckily the lighting stayed away from us and we made it home safely. I was able to snap a shot of the crabs on the beach, they are fun to watch. Hopefully the next two days will be less eventful, but I won't count on it. 

I am doing ok and more of a light flu for me. I have had it before and with meds, can fight it off. I hope this finds all of you well and enjoying your summer.



3 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

What a bummer to come down sick ... and getting the peddle board stuck with a storm rolling in. Eek. I can't believe you jammed so much into the days with having the flu - even if it was a light flu. We are always windy here - but it seems this late spring/early summer has been even windier than usual. I started laughing out loud listening to the news the other day when they were showing someplace in Florida and talking about them feeling the effects of Tropical Storm Alberto and how wind gusts were to get up to 25 mph. in some parts. That is a normal day for us. Right now, though, it is only rain...and lots of it. We are under a flood watch and they said some areas could see as much rain as 4" in 24 hrs. My pool is about to overflow and the rains show no signs of stopping. Hope you're drier - and warmer - than we are! ~Robin~

acorn hollow said...

So sorry you were sick but it sounds like you bounced back pretty well.
We tried the double kayak it was awful we stick to the singles.
rain the past couple of days.
Cathy

Rugs and Pugs said...

I hope you are feeling better and off on more adventures!!!