Friday, July 24, 2020

Friday Finishes and Fun!


This week I made a pillow with a design by Kathy Schmitz for the One Stitch at a Time Club. It came with the alphabet so you can personalize it and I did one with a letter for a friend, to get a start on Christmas gifts.

I antiqued it but the photo is making it darker than the actual piece.



I also made some new masks. I found some fun fat quarters which are a nice size, but with the fitted mask, I could only make two adults and one child, but a fun set.  I am setting aside the pieces from the masks and was thinking of making some simple teddy bears or a doggie, and adding a tag and. year for a momento to give to the boys.



Then today I decided to whip up a couple more which is a mistake, I made a mess, but they are still usable. The kid's mask is a 3D style and I wanted to try one for Nick to see if he likes it better than the fitted. I want to make him school masks, so it is important that they are comfortable and breathable for him. It didn't come out right and might be too small, but he does have a small nose, so it may be just right. I also found some fun lodge material and these I added a third pocket layer, so the wearer can put a filter in or leave as is. A good way to make them more protective when using thinner fabrics.



And we had a nice time camping, not too crowded and the noisy neighbors was asked to leave, so the next day was much quieter. I spent a lot of time on the water, sitting in the cove and enjoying the birds. I saw the kingfishers, but they would not come out for a photo.

I was able to catch Eastern King birds, a Lesser Tern and Tree Swallows.



And on the way back, this Cormorant was nice enough to sit still and make silly poses for me.



On Sunday the kids came and we had a cookout, and played games at our site.



And the boys were thrilled they could swim in the lake, Nick is getting better at swimming and Alex goes up to his neck and fake swims, where he keeps his legs on the bottom and uses his arms only. But a big improvement over last. year when I had to coax him, just to get in the water.

It was nice to get away for a bit, but this weekend we are staying home and getting some things done. It is going to be hot again and the beaches are too crowded. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and enjoying the summer as best, as you can.


5 comments:

acorn hollow said...

So nice to see the kids enjoying the water
Cathy

Lady Locust said...

Love your pillow. And those cutie patooties are growing! Looking like little boys rather than babies 🌻

Julie Fukuda said...

You made good use of your time. The outdoor pictures are wonderful and the boys have grown so fast. We are at the last day of a four day holiday, but it really means nothing these days when every day is the same.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Love seeing the boys being little boys of summer...and glad you got to enjoy some time with nature. I am always impressed how well you know the names of the birds. My mother and sister did too...me, not so much...no matter how I tried. We are enjoying "perfect" summer weather right now....we had 2 days of humidity and some torrential rains....and now we are in the upper 70's for highs...and no humidity. Flooding concerns, however.... :-( Hope your week is off to a great start. ~Robin~

Rugs and Pugs said...

Fun times!