Monday, February 25, 2019

Monday Makin!


This weekend I tried some new things, kitty beds. I wanted to make something for Moki, since he has decided to sleep on the table. I have been using old towels, but now he has his own bed and he loves it. It is big enough to cover the table and he can stretch out in it.

I just sewed a square by folding the fabric in half, leaving one side open, then turning it right side out. To stuff it, I put 4 layers of square batting in the middle, pinned it in place and sewed around the edge to hold it in place. Then I stuffed the sides with batting to give it an edge.

It is a great way to use up old fabric and I used batting from previous projects, so it is a cheap way to make your kitty a comfy bed.


Izzy also loves his bed and tried to steal it when he gets out. So, I decided to try another for her. I found a pattern online, which I cannot find now, but you can go to Instructables and find a similar pattern. I made mine a little differently. Once I turned it right sides out, I added a circle of batting, then I sewed around it, to keep it in place. Once that was done, I stuffed the sides, then sewed up the opening by hand. I like using batting for the pad, since I have extra, and it saves on my batting. If I was making more, I would use foam for the pad and a stiffer, cheaper batting for the sides.

This is the result, it is a bit cock eyed, I didn't have a template for the circle, so I got as close as I could. Of course Izzy wants nothing to do with it. I think I need to make her a larger one, like Moki's, she is so spoiled.

I also saw a pattern, where you make the sides with a flat bottom and make a separate pad to place in it, I like that idea.


I realized I needed something long to stuff the sides with, and I found a long metal tool, no idea where I got it, or what it is for. It was too thin to push the stuffing through, so I came up with an idea that did the job, I wrapped tape around the top, which was perfect for pushing it to the back sides.


This weekend we did a little shopping. I have been looking for couch pillows and there is nothing that matches my taste or colors. But, I found these ugly pink pillows, 25" and the pair cost 6.50. Now that is a deal and I can recover them with my own fabric. I am still trying to decide, but I am leaning towards making open back pillows so I can make designs for each season, and change them out.


And I couldn't resist stopping at the beach on the way home. I wanted to get out for a little while and walk on the beach and the tide was down enough to leave some wonderful pieces of driftwood. I will be using the larger pieces as bases for wood or needle felting and the smalls can be used with my art glass ideas.

I clean it in soapy water with bleach, so it is drying. It will lighten up as it dries.


7 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Awwww....such sweet kitty beds! I especially like Moki’s! I have beds of every shape, sort and kind for my brats...and the only one that is slept on is an old dog bed that belonged to our beloved Shih Tzu...and that is done only by the oldest kitty. The newest kitty is a rebel...and he likes to sleep on floors...or on my chair sitting up like a person would sit LOL. Love your driftwood...but you already knew that... ;-) Happy Monday! Robin

acorn hollow said...

lucky kitties I think they look great. good find on the drift wood
Cathy

Kate said...

I just bet the kitties are happy with their new beds. That was a good deal on the cushions - I make the open back cushion covers so that I can change them up as often as I want. The driftwood comes in handy for so many projects.

Saundra said...

Moki looks quite content. That was a good deal on those pillows because you'd have paid lots more for just plain pillow forms at a sewing store.

Fiona said...

great idea for the kitty beds....
Hugz

Farmhouse prims said...

Love the kitty beds, you are so talented. Love the pillows, don't it make you feel good to find a good deal. hugs, Lecia

Berit said...

I really like Moki's bed! He looks very handsome there in it!