Friday, February 15, 2019

Friday Finishes!


I finally finished my angel. The design is by Teresa Kogut and was an extra offering for her angel tutorial. Of course I changed the look and went with a patriotic dress and I have to admit, I lose focus when watching videos so to finish her face, I just went for it and did what felt right.

This is the finished angel, before I aged her. I really like how the background came out, I mottled it by double dipping the brush and patting it with a paper towel. In some ways I like the softer look, before aging, but If I was leaving it as is, I would do more detail.


And this is the angel, after I aged her. The process is from the tutorial, so I cannot explain it to you, but I did use crackle and antique medium for this look. I was happy that the crackle worked this time. Before I add the aging mediums, I do sand it, to get the worn look and expose some paper.


Here you can see the crackling, it is a nice effect for primitive pieces.


In this, you can see a little of where the paper got exposed, with the sanding. I use different colors and prints. I really had fun doing this and more fun when I just went out on my own, so I might start trying more of my own paintings with my photos. The class really helped me to explore a new medium for painting.


I had another project, but it was giving me fits, the blue marker would not come off, but I finally got it to come off, but I need to rework the colors that faded, so I will finish that, next week. I did work on a new punch needle project. I found the pattern in a thrift store for only 50 cents. It still had the printed weavers with it, but I wanted it larger, so I redrew it on my own backing.

The pattern is by Pine Mountain Designs. I went with a patriotic look, seem to be doing that a lot lately. The original has more muted colors, and I wanted it to pop more. I think this would be fun to do for a babies room too, making it without the stars and adding the babies name to the top or bottom. I also have wool floss, so making the sheep pop with fluffy wool, would be fun.



We were also able to get to the beach last weekend, an hour after a storm, was the perfect time to go. Lots of glass in with the rock piles, so we got a nice haul, this time.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Seems another flu is going around and the kids are sick again. I really wanted to take the boys to see the mermaids this weekend. so hopefully I feel better tomorrow and do a little beach combing, till my hands go numb;)


15 comments:

Fiona said...

very clever with the aging of the angel piece... looks great.... The sheep is lovely too. I hope you feel lots better... germs seem to just go round and round and attack at will
Hugz

Kate said...

You do such a good job with the face!!

Linda said...

Love the angel!

Helen said...

The ageing sure is a great finish for your Angel....

Charlotte said...


Your angel picture is beautiful. I am a big fan of patriotic.

Charlotte

Sandi said...

I like your angel but I have to admit I find the seams of the paper grid very distracting. I would wonder if you tore and overlap the paper more if it would give a softer look. I love the background effect before you sanded it.

Your sheep and stars finish is wonderful how big is it?

Nice glass selection glad you got out. We’re hovering around freezing, most of our snow was washed away by rain. Still some around.

Have a great week and feel well.

moosecraft said...

I absolutely love this angel! What a sweet face....and the colors and aging are perfection!

acorn hollow said...

you have so much talent I am always in awe of you.
I hope the kids are feeling better soon
Cathy

Saundra said...

The angel painting and pillow are both wonderful. Great finishes.

kelley said...

The angel is wonderful...your aging process makes all the difference...hope you're feeling better soon...

Rugs and Pugs said...

I do love that angel ❤️❤️❤️
Feel better soon.

Michelle Ridgway said...

I love your Angel....beautiful! The pillow is wonderful too. Hoping you are on the mend and feeling better x

TheCrankyCrow said...

Oh that angel is absolutely beautiful!!! Her face is just.....well, angelic! Sweet punch needle project too...I haven’t punched in a while....need to get back to that too. Nice haul on the sea glass! Hope you’re all on the mend. I am fighting the flu here as well... Smiles & Sunday Hugs ~ Robin

Julie Fukuda said...

I love that angel, especially her face. I think you should just forget patterns and do your own thing.

Raymond Homestead said...

Wow, beautiful angel! I like the needle punch too.I haven't needle punched in a long time.