Friday, July 20, 2018

Friday Finish!


Years ago, my friend Kelley, With Hook and Needle,  sent me some quilt tops and I finally finished one. She wanted me to have some tops that I could practice on my new machine, but this one just screamed, hand stitching. She hand pieced the entire quilt, it needed the same hand work for finishing.

I wanted to try something different and easier to see how it worked, so I put on the backing and hand quilted the flying geese blocks and around the borders. Once that was done, I put on the back and did tacks, down the strips, in-between the flying geese. That way I tacked down the backing without over quilting the back. I will be using it and it makes it a lot smoother and softer on the skin. I used a thin striped brown, homespun for the back, so it is nice to lay under.

I don't think it is the best way to quilt, but it worked and I didn't have to worry about pinning or puckering, if I did. I finished it off with a black edge.

I love how it came out, it is more prim in person, just fits the bed, so not sure how much it will shrink when I wash it. The top has been washed, but not the backing. I realize I should have washed both, to avoid puckering when the new materials shrink.


I laid it across the couch, it will be nice to hang on my railing too.


A little closer look. I had to use my wide angle to get it all in, so not the best shots. The bed is extra long, so this longer quilt was a nice size for it and will be nice for the summer. I used black pearl cotton, #12 on it, I like the heavier thread for doing prim quilts.


The turkeys decided to come through our yard, and I wanted to get a photo of the babies. Of course the babies started walking off, but the parents wanted to grab the goodies that fell out of the bird feeder.


And I didn't realize Bean had come out with me and the minute he saw them out there, he opened the gate and running after them. The babies got  upset and  you can see one as he is flying up to the fence. The rest followed and then the parents were stuck, so they flew the other way and went across the street. I could hear the babies calling to the parents and eventually they came back, but walked through the neighbors  yard, I don't think they will be visiting any time soon.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.


9 comments:

Saundra said...

OMG, what a friend to do so much work of the hand quilting for you. I'm thinking I'd like to be a better friend to her.

Sandi said...

What a lovely collaboration between the two of you! I think the way you finished it as perfect for the design. I'm she she is delighted with your finish.

Great pictures of the turkeys, too bad you missed the babies while they were in the back yard.

Have a lovely weekend hope the weather is nice.

Fiona said...

I just love the quilt and sounds like you found the perfect quilting to keep it nice and soft... Bean was protecting you!! haha
Hugz

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

What a lovely quilt~ and a lot of hand quilting! Have a great weekend!

acorn hollow said...

I love your quilt
Cathy

Allie-oops Designs said...

That quilt is just stunning - and all by hand, I love it! The colors just glow! Laughing at Bean, he just wanted a turkey dinner, lol!!

Carol C. said...

Your quilt is beautiful!! I love it! What a fun Bean story! We have a couple of still-spotted fawns in our neighborhood. So much fun to see the babies! Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt!

Rugs and Pugs said...

The quilt is beautiful. What a treasure.

Kate said...

Bean was doing what border collies do - even if it was turkeys. :) Love the quilt Debbie.