Monday, May 13, 2013

New Project!


Yesterday I had a me day, nice quiet day all by myself and I wanted to make something just for fun. I have been wanting to make Barbara Brackman's Union Cradle Quilt but wanted something I could make quick and easily, so I made a few changes.

First I reduced the block size to 6" instead of 8". Then I reduced the appliques by 20% on the scanner to fit with the new size. The original quilt is in two colors, but I wanted a patriotic quilt, so I used red and blue ticking for the blocks and a blue ticking for the border. The border is lighter than I would have used, but it was all I had that worked and I plan on tea staining the quilt, when it is finished. I also used wools for the appliqué and scraps that I had laying around. I want the quilt to be scrappy and old looking, when it is finished, so the wools are ones I cut out from old jackets.

I made the border a bit larger since it will have eagle appliques on it and when the quilt is done, I will use a part of the border as the binding by folding it to the backside.

I might just enter this one into the contest at This-n-That Fabrics. You can enter a patriotic quilt that you have made this year, has to be a new one and it ends this month.

The outer blue is a brushed homespun, but the flash makes it look shiny.


10 comments:

Deb said...

Holy smokes, you did all of that in one day? That is amazing, would have taken me weeks (who am I kidding, it would have taken me months!). Can't wait to see it finished, lovely! Deb

Barbara said...

Very cute quilt. The ticking was a good choice.

Julie Fukuda said...

Fantastic job! I love the way you tweaked the plan.

Karen said...

The ticking backgrounds work very well. I like that you turned the stripes a different direction every other block.

marie said...

Great job, Debbie. Like the look the ticking gives the quilt.

Cindy said...

Looks great, Debbie! The ticking used as background is "it".

Rugs and Pugs said...

Oh, I like it!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Fiona said...

looks fantastic... love the ticking background
Hugz

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Looks great and love your choice of fabrics!

The Joy of Needlework said...

Hi Deb, Just read your post on my blog. Darn it all it was sad to read that you machine broke and having to get a permit to fix a leaking pipe. We have to do that here as well to dig up and fix under ground pipes etc.
On hte brighterside love the projects. I am taking a brake from crocheting and may do a little embroidery work not sure. Hugs, LenZie