Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The real me!

I started work on my portrait quilt and got a little started. I tend to think a lot and change my mind a lot and after hours of that and replacing things a million times, I am worn out;) So, it is a long process for me to create something. I am just going to have fun with this one and have been mulling ideas of ways to do the hair and the tie to make it fun.

This is the beginning, I used brown wool for the hat. I messed up with the sizing on the band and brim, so need to redo it to fit right. I am using light and dark tea stained fabrics for the skin tones. It may not look like me, but using wool and making it easier, is easier on my hands. They seem to be a bit numb these days, so I am working on this and some cross stitch, to give my tendons a break.



I added a little to the body. I love the old shirting my friend kelley gave me, works perfect for this. the vest is a dark red wool. This is thrift wool, 20% nylon that really felts up nice for appliques like this. Today I will add the rest and glue down the edges on the shirt and try to wrap my brain around, what gets sewed first, lol. If you would like to join in on the challenge, check out Say Cheese, and see what others have done.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this is too cool!! What a neat idea, I'll be watching for more info on your progress.

Cat Haven Craft House said...

This is looking good!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

it looks good already...can't wait to see you come to life..:) so to speak..:)

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Wow - that is so awesome it blows my mind.

Just wow.

Lynn Barbadora said...

Way coooooooooool!
Hugs,
Lynn

Chris Daly said...

Boy, this sure looks like fun.

Brenda said...

OK, now you're scaring me. You sure this is a SP? Hmmm. I need to see more before I can make that call, LOL!

Laurie sowthacres said...

Love it!! Have seen some people hook themselves before but the quilting looks way cool - can't wait to see it as you go along!!

Joanne said...

I couldn't even image attempting t his with a hook or a needle! You certainly got a lot done in a day

Carrie P. said...

So cool! I love the hat.