Friday, January 20, 2017

After Christmas Chaos!


This week has been slow and unproductive, but I am finally getting back into the swing of things. I spent most of the week thinking about what to do and then decided it was time to finish my quilt top. I finally finished the last row. What I did was, quilt the front with the batting and no backing, next I added extra batting and will attach the back by adding tacking to the rows.

I thought it would be a good experiment to quilt without the back to make it easier and add the back, later. Not sure if that was a great idea, took me forever to hand quilt and still have to attach the back. I think the next one will be machine quilted and the future hand quilting will be done the right way;)

I got out my snap frame and realized I have no backing that fits, so I need to sew a few pieces together, then I can work on it this weekend. The quilt top was made by my friend Kelly, she sent me a couple to practice my quilting on.


I really make a mess at Christmas, making gifts and fun things for myself and I get messier and messier and now my room is total chaos. It is so bad, I hate going in, where do I start, lol. So, I got some new boxes and a lot of the unfinished things and excess will get put away for now and the extra boxes that are cluttering up the room will get cleared out and removed. I have plenty of fabric and patterns on the shelves, so I will work on using my stash and doing the patterns I have been putting off, the rest can wait. My tables are becoming storage units, so those will be cleared and things put where I can find them and maybe some wall bins to put in my scraps of wool. I like having the scraps nearby so I can use a piece when I want something for a small piece. I will also sell anything I have lost interest in, time to do the ones I want and not worry about having to make it all. Maybe use some of the material to make curtains, should be on my to do list. I used my wide angle, so the room looks wonky.


I also wanted to make a rug for my beach room, but I also know I have a long list of things I want to make and a rug would take up a lot of that time. I found a small blue jean rug in the store and got it since it was cheap and wanted to see how it looked in the room, I loved it. So, I searched on the web for the same brand and of course I couldn't find it. I inspected each type of jean rug until I found one that was closest to it and I love the new rug. It is darker than the other, I did like the lighter shades and it is larger than I wanted. I was looking for a 4' x 6' and this is 5' x 7', but it fits perfectly.

Now I feel like the room is a room and I will start working on cleaning out the junk that was in there and a blue jean quilt and matching pillows for the couch. Someday I will replace that with something I can use for guests, as well. Of course I need to make things for the walls and I have some quilts I have been wanting to make, folk art styles with ocean themes, so that will be my winter projects and the room will be ready for summer. It is a lot cooler down there, so it will be a nice retreat in the summer.

Not the best photo, the wide angle tends to fish eye on the lowest setting, but I wanted to get more of the room in. It makes the room look small and narrow. There is also a large closet in the back, needs to be cleaned out and I will have storage for my excess that I can hide away.

Tomorrow is going to be a nice day so we will be off on a hike. I am loving the weekend weather, love being able to get out and explore. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and find your own adventure.


11 comments:

Sandi said...

Love all those gorgeous blues in that rug, it looks very cosy in your room. I e never done a double bat quilt before, are you using cotton ir wool! I imagine cotton would be tough to hand quilt. The top is lovely. Enjoy the process,

I need to excavate my sewing room,,,too many piles everywhere,

Julie Fukuda said...

I don't have a sewing room but my coffee table looks like the giant spoon swooped down and stirred everything. I make a mess just hunting the scissors I used five minutes ago!

Kim said...

It seems like we are in the same world. I am trying to organize and declutter my craft supplies but it is a painful process. I'd also like to start quilting so I am trying to make a dedicated space. Ugh. My house is small and so far I am still in the thinking phase. My tiny den has good light but small space. My spare room might work but poor lighting. It's a work in progress. Lol

Kate said...

Debbie, good luck with sorting out your sewing room - it always seems to be more enjoyable messing it up than cleaning it up. I really like your rug and quilt. Enjoy your outings this weekend.

Karen said...

The sewing room, though out of order, looks wonderful to me. You are lucky to hve that big Pfaff with so much throat plate room.
Temecula Quilt Co. is encouraging people to make Flying Geese blocks right now. You are ahead of the game with your quilt.

Saundra said...

What a wonderful work room. Actually your chaos didn't look like chaos to me but rather busy woman in progress.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Oh, I do love that quilt top!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Fiona said...

sometimes a bit of a clean out makes you notice what you really use and need to keep and what is just extra lying around...
Hugz

acorn hollow said...

I love your quilt! you should use some of your wonderful pictures as are you take such lovely pictures of the ocean and when hiking.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Hi! I believe that quilt pattern that you are practicing on is called Flying Geese…one of my favorites (next to Bear's Paw).

Allie-oops Designs said...

Gorgeous quilt - hand quilting is my favorite ever thing to do. Debbie, I just love your new rug, I can picture that room with folk-art ocean themed wall hangings - beautiful!