Monday, March 23, 2015

Monday Finishes!


I was able to get in some sewing time this weekend and finished one piece, made another and started to finish a UFO.

The first piece is a design by Plumcute Designs. This was one of the free designs in the Buttermilk Basin spring hop. The original design is in a small hoop. I planned on putting mine on a wood heart, but the piece was too big for my heart. So, I went with a simple square pillow and added the saying.

I added a bumpy yarn by using  two strands and gathering it, as I went around to get a full decorative border. I added a cord so I could hang it on my peg rack at the top of the stairs.



This next piece is a free design from the Wool Applique group on Facebook. Trish from Attic Heirlooms is offering the designs and she also offers them on her website, but you have to get them during that month. I am making mine over sized because I will be hanging them on a line with clothespins, for a Christmas garland.



Another project that I have been wanting to do is a Christmas runner with blocks that my friend Lauri sent me. I finally got it into my head, how I should have sewed them to get them even, after I was finished, lol. I do not take things apart, so the uneven edges will stay;)

The middle section is white so I am trying to decide, if I quilt it, how should I quilt it and what design. I wanted to hand stitch it with black threads but not sure if i can do a nice design that way. Or, should I put an appliqué in that section? Would love suggestions.

I bought material to match it, but I wonder if it is too light? What do you think of the border fabric? It is more tan than the middle sections, but I plan on tea staining the piece, so the middle will be darker in the end. I hate to buy more fabric but I could also go with a dark red or green for the border?


14 comments:

Kate said...

Beautiful pieces, Debbie!!

Jacqueline Morris said...

You have been busy!!
I love how you finished all the designs... Beautiful:)
Pleased I popped in :)
Have a lovely day :)
Smiles :)

Karen said...

The new stitchery design you made up turned out good. I saved the pattern for future use.
I think your border fabric will work fine once you darken the white on the inside.

Unknown said...

I love your work ! All so beautiful. I really like the red border on your runner. I was thinking an embroidered wreath with green holly leaves and red berries would look so pretty in the white spaces ! Just an idea ? You always do such pretty things !

Dorothy said...

You could always sew one of the flowers from the outer fabric onto the centre of the white pieces.

cucki said...

Beautiful pieces my dear xx

Julie Fukuda said...

I like it a lot and I think that fabric will work fine with a bit of dye in the end-game.

kelley said...

Love the Plumcute piece...great trim with the yarn...to my eye the border fabric is too busy...but am sure it'll be great once it's stained and finished...

Sandra said...

Love the little wool ornament. I agree too that after tea staining all the fabric choices will be perfect together.

Monique said...

Everything is very nice!
:-)
Monique

Sandi said...

Love how you adapted the Plum Cute design, I'm doing something a bit differed ent with Ito also.

I like the borderfabric you chose for the Christmas blocks, it would be cute to appliqué somoe different wool shapes like a star, gingerbread men, a horn etc not necessarily in the middle of each block but a bit off kilter?

Have fun with whatever you choose!

Allie said...

Love it all - especially the Love Lives Here!! I think the runner will be fine with that fabric, especially with tea dyeing, and I think applique would be awesome.

Fiona said...

lovely projects.... I think quilt tops are so personal.... and in my humble opinion you could use that border and add an applique in the centre to bring out that tan you are concerned about???
Quilts are all different and lovely so whatever you choose it will be amazing...
Hugz

Carrie P. said...

looks like Christmas at your house!