Friday, September 18, 2026

Best laid plans!

 

Well, you know what they say about best laid plans, they never work out, like you expect. Our plan to go to New Hampshire we squashed since we couldn't leave on time to get a full week in. Then I decided we could go to the cape in the RV. That was a bust when we filled the tanks for the stove and the next day the air smelled like gas. It seems the pipe was leaking and since it was empty at the time, we didn't know. So, we decided to do a stay at home vacation. Day one was spent cleaning out the RV, and taking that in. I also decided I had enough since it seems it is in the shop, more than getting used. We still have the trailer and I plan on using the money to redo the bathroom, which is in dire need of a gut job.

Once things settled down, we decided to go to Newport for a nature walk around the point. The day was beautiful and I enjoyed the fresh ocean air. Lots of birds and butterflies in the fields of Goldenrod.


The birds were not sitting still but with a little patience, I was able to catch another butterfly as it landed on the flowers.



And a flock of swallows, were wonderful to watch as they flew back and forth across the fields.



Our plans to stop at a few places did not work out, since they were closed to the public, so we decided to go to the fort to walk around. When we got there, I said, we have never been in the actual fort, so in we went.

Most of the buildings were closed off, since they were crumbling, but we could peek inside through the gated doors.



At one end, facing the bay, there is a stairway that has a walk along the roof. It was a nice place to take a break and enjoy the views.




A different perspective of the lighthouse, that I have taken from the other side of the bay.



One thing I didn't know, was that they have a tunnel system under the fort. I am not great in tight spaces, but I decided I had to check it out. First you go through an entrance to get underground.



Inside, a guide explained the system and gave us hard hats and a flashlight. The first section was taller and had lights.



Then we got to the lowest tunnel, I was a bit leery about going in, it was pitch black and I had to bend to get through, but I did it. It was a unique experience and fun to learn about the early war days, when the fort was built. 

That was the end of my vacation. We had plans to go biking and kayaking but I got sick the next day. So I have spent the rest of the week cleaning up the items from the RV and all the dishes and pots will go to the charity thrift since I have plenty in the other trailer. I hope you all had a nice week and enjoying the end of the warm days.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry your plans didn't go as expected, but it seems like you did have a fun adventure! We live in a tourist destination but we never visit the local attractions. We will have to just make plans to do it. Your Monarch butterfly picture is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing