Friday, February 12, 2021

Friday Finish and Feathered Friends!

 

This week got away from me, I thought it was Thursday, lol. I have been working on a couple of projects and finished one. I say finished, but it needs some fixes and a finish. A friend sent me the pattern as a gift and I think it will be a nice gift to give back to her. I am not sure if I want to mount it on wood as a hanging or make a storage bag for knitting needles, will think on it.

It is a bit of a mess now, I need to trim a bit and redo the areas that got snagged into each other. The design is by Yvonne Buus. It is a bit skewed in the photo, but the design is a bit over 6" x 8".



We got a bit of snow this week, looks like winter is here to stay for the month, more snow coming this weekend and during the week. This is my back yard at nightfall, last weekend.



The birds didn't seem to mind and were extra hungry, so lots of visitors. This female, Black Eyed Junco was nice enough to sit for a photo.



The Starlings are always trying to eat all the food, so I let one have some while I took photos, but I usually chase them away. And the Bluejays are always eating up all the food, but I allow them to have a bit. I do have feeders in the yard that I fill, so they are welcome to that, but they know the good food is on the porch.



This weekend is Bird count weekend. If you have birds in your area, you can join in by signing up at Cornells Bird Lab. They have a lot of information on birding and a site where you can list the birds you see in your area. It helps them to keep track of bird populations.

I really wasn't going to do it, but today I saw a new bird and decided to list what I saw, in a half hour. I had quite the list, it was very busy today. And this guy, he is a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. I saw him yesterday and thought he was a bit large and different than the Downy Woodpeckers. I was able to catch a few photos and was happy to see I had a new feathered friend.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and maybe you can enjoy birding in your own backyard. A suet feeder is the cheapest and easiest way to start. One thing that most of the birds love is peanuts, a great way to attract a variety of birds.



10 comments:

Olde Dame Holly said...

I don't know why, but the phrase "yellow-bellied sapsucker" seemed once to be a mild insult among children in the 1960s. I think Bugs Bunny was called one, or called someone else one. They are lovely birds, so I don't quite follow the insult! I have laid in a supply of birdseed (thistle) for the finches, and sunflower seeds/millet/peanuts etc. for the bigger birds we have here, for the coming storm. I don't know why, but the big birds here have gotten very picky about their food. They don't seem to relish the sunflower seed and peanuts as they did in years past! I even got mealworms to try to tempt them. The finches and mourning doves do love their thistle, though.

julieQ said...

Your work is always so pretty! And those birds are so pretty...it is so cold that I wonder how they stay alive!

acorn hollow said...

We have had some wonderful birds at our feeder too but I have not seen our cardinal pair in some time. Maybe the neighbor is feeding better things lol. Is the piece punched or hooked?
you did a wonderful job on it
cathy

Robin Leuschen said...

Beautiful piece !!!🥰🥰

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your punch needle piece is too sweet!!! I've seen hooked versions, but not punched.
No masks this week??? LOL!

Julie Fukuda said...

You always have something lovely to show, and the bird pictures are great too. I have a window cafe filled with sunflower seeds. It has visitors all the time. A glass of orange juice on the wall goes quickly too but I don't know what birds are there because it is too cold to sit by that window and watch.

Susan said...

It's hard to believe anyone could make something so small and so detailed. =) The birds are lovely, and I'm so happy not to be one, out there in all that snow! I heard around Cleveland, OH, it's going to be as much as a food of snow. Brrrr! I'll stay here, cold enough to drip my faucets overnight, and dream of my desert days! LOL

susan hemann said...

I usually do the bird count but for some reason this year I didn't get the feeders up early enough, now the area is covered with snow and unreachable to me. I miss seeing all the birds.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happiest of Sundays Debbie.... Bitterly cold here..has been all week...We got down to -27 last night...and that was without the wind chill. I have heard that it is to warm up a bit next week. I sure hope so. You did a beautiful job on the punched piece! And how sweet to gift it back. Your friend will love it no matter how it is finished. Like Holly, I have heard the phrase "yellow bellied sapsucker" used as an insult LOL. I have never seen one (feathered or otherwise) before. Your photos are just incredibly stunning...I really love the one of the Junco. I would be of no help to the bird count....For some reason, I have never quite gotten the knack of learning bird names. I can see a bird and think I have memorized its characteristics/markings, but when I go to look it up, it seems there are a dozen or more that could fit that description and the details in my mind's eye get blurred. I know the basics...and was excited when I finally saw a pileated woodpecker in our tree out front. Of course, I've come to know a lot about eagles with the nest outside our front door at the lake. It has been a fun journey watching the little ones grow. I did not realize that they do not get their adult colorings for years. I wonder now how many young eagles I saw and did not realize they were eagles. Stay warm! ~Robin~

QuiltGranma said...

We've got 13" as of this afternoon, still snowing and 18 degrees. Unusual for this part of eastern OR. Love that wool piece you did!