Friday, October 26, 2018

Testing and Finishes!


This week I practiced on some glass jars and tried some new mediums. I previously used spray on, sea glass paint, but that only works if it is nice out and no wind. So, I tried another product by Ceramcoat, frosted glass paint.

I was able to get some at our local Michaels, but it is hard to find different colors in the store, so I ordered more this week from Create for Less. I had a green, called sea grass and was able to find Jade, which is more like a blue.

In the photo, the ones on the left and right were done with the glass paint, mixed with antique decoupage. The ones in the middle are done with just the glass paint. It is hard to see in the photo, but I found that the straight paint works best, with decoupage, the glass chipped off when I was working on it. You can also bake them, after you let the paint set and that makes them washable, so I will have to try that next.

Here are the results of the paint and the colors.


I also tried another product from Golden, called glass gel bead. It makes a nice sparkle on the glass, which looks pretty with a candle or lights in the room. I have been using flicker lights for now, later I will try a candle, outside, to make sure it doesn't cause fumes or explode, lol.


I loved the thicker blue shade and thought it was the perfect background for painting on. I used a design from one of my books for the ship and the lighthouse came from a free pattern at Artist's Club.  My sister is already trying to buy them from me, but she also is having a light weight flute made by a tribe member in her area, so I will make her a box of goodies in exchange.


I also wanted to try some simple ornaments. I was able to find the wood pieces at Michaels, I like the white tag the best, it is a nice size to work with and already painted. The angel on blue was another experiment with the glass bead gel. It shines when you move it around, so I think that will be nice to add to ornaments with the tree lights, shining on them.

I used a new glue too, tacky clear gel. It is not as thick as the regular tacky, so it took some patience to place things and keep them from moving, and on the brick, it does show where I moved the arm. I am also wondering how the glass gel will look on items like the white pottery dress, another thing to try.


We went out for some rides this weekend, but the foliage was being elusive. It seemed some areas had nice spots of color, while others were still green. Tomorrow is going to be stormy, so hopefully their will still be some foliage left on Sunday.

This is in Rhode Island, outside the village of Westerly.


In Connecticut, we saw some foliage at Goodwin Forest.


And we ended the day with a visit to Mansfield Hollow, with a view from the top of the dam.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, filled with your own adventures and experiments.


11 comments:

acorn hollow said...

you should do one of the local craft fairs with all of your wonderful sea glass ideas.
cathy

Kate said...

Debbie, your glass jars are quite lovely.

Karen said...

An interesting craft with the glass jars. I love those blue green colors of the jars. And, of course, the finishing touches with the light house, etc.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your beach glass angels are so sweet ❤️

Fiona said...

painting the jars gives a lovely effect.... it looks like the glass is that colour -not painted on. those are very cute tags made with the stones...

Hugz

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I enjoyed seeing all your beautiful craft experiments. I haven't frosted any glass but it does look so pretty!

Sandi said...

Love that blue glass effect the best. I love your painting and the twin addition on the one jar. The other painting of the lighthouse is wonderful. Your angels are good! I would snap up that turquoise one as you know it's one of my favourite colours.

Great landscape photos. The rain arrived here Wednesday night and Friday we were suprised with sunshine and warmer temperatures. This afternoon the rain returned.

Have fun with your trades with your sister.

PaulaB quilts said...

The blue glasses are my favorite. They really look like sea glass, which ties in with the sailboat design. You’ve got some ver y creative gifts, a great use of your ocean finds, wonderful gifts. Could I buy a blue jar with a sailboat? It would be perfect with my other candle holders and, of course, a reminder of RI. Also a little something with sea glass from a Point Judith, so many memories there as well. It’s too bad George’s clam cakes don’t ship. I’m serious about a purchase.

Carol Swift said...

I love those glasses and the colors are gorgeous! I've never seen this method before, so thanks for sharing.

moosecraft said...

The glass jars and the sea glass pictures are awesome! :-)

Kathy H said...

I love your angel ornaments. And the jars turned out great. I had never heard of that type of paint before so thanks for sharing your experiments.