Friday, November 1, 2013

Friday Finishes!


It was a slow week, but I did get a few things done. I did a search for designs using coloring pages as the add on and found some nice designs to try. I wanted to make round ornies with them, but then stuffed them too much, the balsam does weigh more than stuffing so I decided to keep them, as is and call them bowl fillers. I think they would be nice in a display with fake greenery to give the scent of fresh pine.

The candle was too light to see, so I colored in some yellow with fabric markers, and the flash made it look brighter, than it is. The birds were done on a white cloth and then I tea stained them. I think for the next ornies, I need to make a packet, filled with balsam to put into them.

I sewed these by machine, but I think I like the ones that I hand sewed and left a raw edge. Those I can just make a packet of scent, so will try that type next.


I also worked on my hexagon tree skirt and finally got it all together. Now I have to decide how to trim the edges. I wanted to quilt it, but I need to figure out how to do the edge. Add one on after I quilt it or add a ruffle and then quilt it, but not sure if that will work. Would love suggestions and comments on how you made your tree skirts.

It was raining and windy today, so no out door photos. The flash really messes with colors, but his one is brighter, not prim. I like brighter folk art for Christmas, as well as prim styles, mixed together.


And here is a close up of my piecing. I cut out the hexagons with a go cutter, then I mark the seams with a quarter inch ruler. Then I sew them by hand, matching the seam lines and the points, so I usually get nice joins but on occasion I get sloppy and there are a few creases, here and there;)

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.


10 comments:

Jacque. said...

No advice on how to finish your tree skirt. It looks great!

Dorothy said...

How about stitching the Hexi edge onto a 2" - 3" strip of fabric. Trim to whatever size you want and it will give you a straight edge to bind. After all your work it would be a shame to cut them in half around the edge to get a straight line.

Kate said...

I love your ornies. Your hexies are gorgeous.

Karen said...

I like your bowl fillers. The stitching around the edges a nice touch. They have a very prim look and I am sure they smell good.

I have never made anything with hexies though I have some hexie papers to use.

paulette said...

LOVE all your projects!! You have been very busy!!
P

Carrie P. said...

cute ornaments.
I like Dorothy's suggestion for finishing the tree skirt.

Fiona said...

love your little ornament/bowl fillers....
... all those hexagons... it looks fantastic made up...
Hugz

annie said...

I like the bowl fillers, and the tree skirt is just beautiful!

Miccosukee said...

Lauren,
What a treat to get back to reading some blogs and discover your new look. How cute! Had to take a break from most computer things as my hands have been un-cooperating. Your output of beautiful things is amazing. Keep it up!!

Anonymous said...

Good work. Looks good...