Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Christmas Hexagons!

I decided I wanted to do some sewing and have been wanting to try a runner with smaller hexagons.
This one will be a present. The fabrics were from my friend kelly, from the rocky mountain collection.
I used a 1" hexagon template and made a card stock template. I traced that right onto the fabric with a pen and cut them out.
I think the seam is about 1/4", maybe smaller, I am eye balling it;) No paper piecing, just cut and sew, while I watch tv.

This is the main block. Each one will have the lighter green around it. Once those are done, I can get a better idea of the size and shape I want. I fussy cut the outer red hexagons, so the flower is centered as best as possible.



I tried two layouts. This is with points touching.



This is with a more squared off look. Not sure which one I like better? How about you?
This one will just be a small table topper, so not making it too big. I will decide after I go around these two, if I need a third section.

10 comments:

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Such cheery colors! Looks like you have a great start on your Christmas runner.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love it! Wow! I think I like the second one best.

paulette said...

This is going to be lovely!! I like it both ways!! Can't believe you are just eye balling it!! Gorgeous!
Paulette

moosecraft said...

For me? Really? Ahhhhh... you shouldn't have! LOL! ;-) This is looking great, Debbie! The first layout with points together makes the design look more like two pointsettia's. Which is kinda kewl, I think. You are inspiring me to get my hexagons together into something! ;-) maybe this weekend...

Jacque. said...

That is going to be so pretty! You're doing a great job!

Lori said...

That is looking really good!! A table runner is a good way to try a technique without comitting to a whole quilt!!
I like the second photo layout the best.

Gayle said...

Love that fussy cutting - it's a lot more work, but SO worth it!

Anonymous said...

I like the 2nd one best! So pretty

Rugs and Pugs said...

I'm with the majority. I vote for the second layout.
Looks great!

Carrie P. said...

Love your fabrics and the way you fussy cut some. I think I like the first setting better.