Friday, March 23, 2018

Friday Finish!


I actually had two to finish, but life got in the way. I have been sick as usual and thought it was the lyme acting up, but it seems the tooth I have been complaining about, finally had it's last run. So, I had to wait to get in and finally had it pulled. Hopefully all the weird symptoms I have been getting are from that, for now I am waiting for the pain to wear off. You would think in this day and age, they would have come up with something with ripping teeth out with pliers, lol.

It is also a warning if you get a root canal and have it capped, to know that it can still get infected. In fact, it is more prone to get infected in the space that is left and since the nerves are cut, you do not feel the pain. It can go on for years and make you sick, mimicking a lot of other diseases, so something to consider if you have doctors telling you there is nothing wrong and it is all in your head;)

I was able to finish off my angel painting. This was the first one I started by prepping the papers and drawing on the angel, but I never painted it. I had messed up with the drawing, so I finally redid the lines and followed the tutorial for the face.

The problem was, my brain went on hold and I totally lost track of what I was doing and what she was saying, so I messed up on the coloring and shading. Since I did a nice enough job on the painting, I decided to just keep it simple and in a more folk art style. I added a hand and boat, and made stars on her halo, so a bit americana.

Then came the finishing and crackle. I had crackle on hand, so used that and it did not work, it actually blobbed the finish, so I used warm water and washed what I could off. Luckily there is a gloss finish on the painting, so it didn't do too much damage. I ordered the right crackle and finished it with that, and I got some nice crackling in some areas and blobs in others.

So, this is how she turned out, not like I planned but not too bad. This is my second one, so maybe the third one will be the charm.


You can see the way it blobbed up in the upper left corner. What you need to know when you use crackle is, buy the right product for the right job. The plaid crackle is to put on top of a painted object like a box, then you add another layer of paint, to get the crackling effect. For a painting, you use Jo Sonya's crackle, which goes over your painting. This is a technique that I learned in the online class by Teresa Kogut, of Gather Dream Create, so I cannot explain the actual process. I thought it was good to know for those who are using mediums, to read up on the types and what they are used for, before you buy.

This is a close up of the actual crackle effect, I love how it looks and hopefully the next one will come out as nice. I plan on doing a simple painting with my own design first, to try out the technique, then I will try another angel.


12 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Hey, you finished your angel. She is beautiful! Hope your tooth (or lack there of) begins feeling better soon.

Kate said...

Debbie, your angel painting is lovely .... I think we're often too critical of our own work. Sorry to read about your tooth experience and it's certainly good info about a root canal/cap that you shared - I did not know this. Hope you're feeling better quickly. Try to enjoy the weekend.

Julie Fukuda said...

I love the way this turned out. I am not really familiar with this technique.
About teeth, My grandmother had perfect teeth and never had even a cavity in her whole life. I sure wish she had left those perfect teeth to me. My mother, too had good strong teeth but I inherited from my father and I must admit, the joy of eating has departed with each one lost.

annie said...

I love your angel.
It has been years since I painted anything except some thrift store frames.
Years ago, I enjoyed Jo Sonya products.
They were great quality then.
I hope you do the third one, I would love to see!

Allie-oops Designs said...

Oh goodness Debbie I just love this so much!!! Your added touches make it perfect. This would go very nicely in your beach room!!!

Allie-oops Designs said...

Geez, where's my brain - I hope you're feeling better VERY soon - I had no idea that a capped tooth could get infected like that, yikes!

Saundra said...

I had a root canal, had to have it capped again a few years later and it still got infected. So had the damn thing pulled. Like your angel painting and when I was making dolls would sometimes have a crackle doll turn out poorly. But our goal was to make the angel and dolls look aged, right? We accomplished our goal.

Rugs and Pugs said...

So sorry about the tooth but hopefully you will feel better now.
LOVE the angel!

Sandi said...

I love the adaptation you did on this angel, would you share a picture of the two to show the side by side difference some time please.

I'm hoping you had a good weekend. We have weird weather with rain, hail, sunshine and even snow at higher elevations. It was chilly today and a real mixed bag of the above and expected a lot of rain over the next two days.

moosecraft said...

Wow! Debbie, this painting is gorgeous! I even like the variations in the crackle...mimics natural age, really.
Having a tooth pulled is awful...but at least now you're on your way to feeling better! :-)

Raymond Homestead said...

I've learned that your teeth can really affect your overall health, as does what you eat. We never realize this when we're young, or at least I didn't. People may have told us, but if you're like me, you think they don't really know what they're talking about, lol! Love how the angel turned out!

Carole said...

Wow! Your painting is gorgeous! You are so talented! I do hope you are back to your healthy self! Cheers!