Friday, December 29, 2017

Projects and Freezing Fun!


I am thinking about the new year and new projects. I have patterns that I have been wanting to do for years and this is the year for Christmas projects. I want to have quilts for different areas of the house, so I am starting with some applique projects that are fun and can be hung on the banister.

This project will be my first, something simpler and easy to appliqué, the designs are very large. The design is in the book 'Tis the season. There is another project with stockings and trees but it has basic blocks on the bottom with the design at the top, so that will be my second project.


The pattern calls  for a black background and now I have to decide, do I want to use a homespun, dull black and go with homespun fabrics for the stockings and make it prim, or go with the heavier, shiny black and do brighter, fun fabrics. What do you think?


We also got a chance to take Nick out for the day. We got both boys some new clothes and we still wanted a coat for Nick, so this way we could try them on. Unfortunately, it seems there are none in his size, so it is a little big, but at least he can wear it next  year.

Even though it was freezing, we took him to the park to have a little fun. About a half hour of that and I was frozen, but he loved it, so worth the frostbite.

They had lots of fun slides and all the walkways had fencing so we didn't have to worry about him going up alone.


He really loves to try new things and he has great balance, these steps are on a pendulum, so you have to keep your balance when they swing, but he did it all by himself.


They had a climbing wall, with a chain to pull yourself up on.


They also had a children's garden, of course the flowers were gone, but a fun place to explore. It is a wonderful park, we will definitely go back, and when it is not so cold. I think this photo would make a fun art piece, will have to work on some ideas.


Today was cold, every day is cold and I am not liking it, lol. We went for a drive and enjoyed the different ocean views, then stopped at the rocky beach. I had my hood and my gloves and I was still freezing. I didn't last long but I got some fresh air and found a few pieces of glass, so it was nice, even if it was short.

I hope you all had a wonderful week and have a wonderful holiday weekend.


10 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Looks like a fun project. I like the shape of those stockings. That is sure one handsome little fella.

acorn hollow said...

very fun project can't wait to see what you do. It has been so cold here it is hard to breath outside.
Cathy

Karen said...

I like the bright version because it is still prim in style with the dark background. But you like things really prim so that might be the way to go for you.

Saundra said...

It will be a cute and fun new project. I'm anxious to start hooking my new project soon and am sick of binding already.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Fun times, as always. You are a better woman than I. No outdoorsy stuff for me when it's cold!!!
I vote for a more prim project, but that's just me.
Happy, happy New Year.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Allie-oops Designs said...

The stockings are just darling! I think I'd go with the brighter colors - but either way, you'll have fun. Nick looks like he's having so much fun, so good for him to be out in the fresh air! But I'm with you, it's far too cold for me to venture out, lol.

Fiona said...

very cold blasts there... it's the total oppposite here and I am melting.... the playground looks wonderful - it's lovely when they have things that help the children with their coordination. I love the new stocking project you have planned...
Hugz

Kate said...

Debbie, I think you need to make the stocking wall hanging in both colourways - you could use two of them, right? :)
Well done for getting Nick outdoors even thought it's cold - you folks take him to such interesting and fun places. If you're thinking it's cold there ...... we are currently -18F with a windchill of -43.6F. It's unusually cold here just now and expected to warm up soon.
All the best for 2018! k

Julie Fukuda said...

It is quite cold here too and takes a while to warm up after taking Nikko for a walk. Nick is lucky to get to such a variety of places where ha can let off steam. He seems to enjoy whatever you provide. I let my stash decide which bits and pieces I use. I am trying not to shop for any fabric if I can help it.

Sandi said...

Love the stocking pattern! It's going to be great fun to work on! Love that Nicks jacket coordinated with the playground equipment! I'd love to get some of the colours plaid in a cotton fabric!