Friday, December 15, 2017

Friday Finish!


The presents are done, the cards are out, though I didn't do as many as previous years, I did what I could and now it is time for me to relax and enjoy working on Christmas projects. This year will be my Christmas year, I will be working on larger quilts to put around the house. I still like to do small projects and they are nice to do at night while I watch tv, so that is what I did this week.

This is an older pattern that a friend gave me, called I Believe by Country Stitches. For this one I used 3 strands of floss, so it would stand out more. No antique medium on this one, I wanted it to be lighter and bright, something the kids will like when they visit.

The pillow is 11" x 15". The filling is a mix of battings, mostly from a pillow I bought. I needed a smaller sized pillow for my whale, so I bought a pillow form, took out stuffing, till it was the right size, then sewed it up and cut of the excess. A great way to get the size you need and there was a lot of stuffing, enough to fill another pillow.


Another project I will work on after the holidays is a quilt for my ocean room and now I have another one to make that I can enjoy, as well. My friend Karen sent me this piece that she had started. And she sent the material she bought to use with it. I am going to add more border to it and make it into a quilt, maybe even some extra appliqué around the first border area. I also have some whale and seagull fabric, so if it matches, I may use that.

Not the best photo, the fabrics look so much better in person, love the colors and fabrics. This will be a fun one to practice quilting on, something with a nautical theme.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I am in the mood to find a new Christmas sweater to wear, so hopefully I can find something this weekend. My closet is filled mostly with black, which is my favorite color to wear, but I think it is time to wear something more festive for the holidays.

7 comments:

Lady Locust said...

I have never seen that sailor pattern. I love it. It would almost be fun to do a pillow with a "Laurel & Hardy" facial expressions just for hoots and giggles. (I'm a little warped that way.) I finally just finished one quilt top and am nearly finished hand stitching another. Hoping to do some finishing is '18. Looking forward to seeing yours.

Julie Fukuda said...

Cute santa pillow and a great way to get the size you wanted. Looks like a nice project in the works to plan as you go.
My closet gets the most use of blacks or navy but white dog hair sure does show up wherever I go.

acorn hollow said...

wonderful finishes as always. I have decided I wear much to much black so now when I shop I am trying to find color. I love red so I need to find more.
Merry Christmas
Cathy

Fiona said...

Love the pillow and the happy quilt.... Christmas should be much more relaxed that it is for so many of us!

Hugz

Kate said...

Your Santa pillow is so cute - the boys should enjoy it.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Love your Santa and that whirligig quilt will be fun.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Unknown said...

Nice Santa Pillow. I’ve been getting the urge to do some embroidery.