Monday, November 20, 2017

Weekend shopping!


This weekend was cold and windy, so no walking on the beach or hiking on hills, and we need to get ready for Thanksgiving, so we went shopping.

The problem is, I never found anything that I was looking for but I did find a few new things for Christmas, lol. On Saturday we went to the shop to drop off our tapes, which was housed in an old mill. If you are ever in the Mystic, Stonington area, it is worth a visit.

It is called the Velvet Mill and hours various businesses, including crafts and antiques, as well as, a brewery that has kegs for tables. On Saturdays in the winter, they have an indoor flea market with various food vendors and crafts. A great place to spend a few hours on those cold days.

I didn't find anything interesting, but I knew there was a thrift store in the area, so of course we stopped there and I found a few things to decorate with. The nice thing about thrifts is I can buy things for a couple of dollars and not feel bad when I get sick of looking at them.

Here are the items I found, 2.00 dollars for each item. The ornament has a little girl in a bed with a kitty, I couldn't resist that. The small creche is perfect to add to my collection and I can add some items to it. The tree is a two piece wooden tree, not sure if I should leave as is or prim it up. I do like the fun look and maybe decorate around it, to have something the kids would like.


On the way home we stopped at the antique store, I needed some more lavender. They have a section with new items and lots of booths, so of course we had to walk around to see what was new. I didn't see anything else that I wanted or needed, but I thought these mini cast iron stoves were nice, I know someone who collects them, but too pricey for me.


On Sunday we went to the Bees Buzz, another antique barn with booths that has new and old items. I was thrilled to see a new vendor who had roving, and wonderful curly locks that I can use for sheep or beards. They look yellowed in the photo.


Another vendor sells handmade pottery and I love the coloring, but there is never anything I can use. This time I spotted a toothbrush holder and it is something I need and beautiful blue/brown hues to match my bathroom colors.

Next weekend is a large craft fair at Sturbridge Village and I thinking about going, but they charge to get in. I do not understand that, I am going to buy things, so why do I have to pay to shop? I can go to a prim store or the vendors and buy from them without an extra fee, money I would use to buy something, so I am not sure if it is worth it? One of the vendors will be Sassafras Hill Primitives, her booth looks wonderful.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving. We are hosting the family and friends and I am sitting here wondering how I am going to get this house clean and cook food in three days, ugh. I work well under pressure and good at hiding dirt if I have to, lol. May you all be blessed with friends and family or a nice quiet day enjoying some stitching.


9 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Happy, happy Thanksgiving to you!
Lauren

Kate said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration.

acorn hollow said...

Love your finds. When my daughter went to URI there was a historic house not far from the college that had a wonderful christmas fair I got a lot of really great things there. Hand felted pieces etc. I wish I could remember the name of it.
Happy Thanksgiving
Cathy

Karen said...

The Nativity looks like a nice one. The thrift stores all seem to have plenty of Christmas decor to choose from at this time of year but I have not been.

Sandi said...

Looks like you managed to find a few treasures to bring home with you. Love finding deals in thrift shops.

The glaze on the toothbrush holder is lovely, I tend towards turquoise highlights in lottery pieces but yours is lovely,

Have a Hapoy Birthday and a lovely Thanksgiving holiday.

The Eveningstitcher said...

Love those little cast iron stoves!! I don't have any either, because they are a little pricey....but so sweet! I love thrift shops, as well. I bought two really nice wreaths at our local one last week for $3 each...love finding buys like that!! It's been cold and breezy in southeastern Michigan,as well...but we still have a ton of maple leaves on our trees! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Deb!

Saundra said...

I've passed the torch to my son who does all the holiday cooking now. All his wife and I have to do is clean up after.

Julie Fukuda said...

How refreshing to know I am not the only one wondering how to get everything done while cleaning and tidying the house.
Have a Happy Holliday. I continuously give thanks for friends like you.

janie said...

Love the tooth brush holder. Happy THanksiving!!

Enjoy, Janie