Monday, December 5, 2016

Christmas Pillows!


I loved making the pillow with Cheri Saffiote's free design, that I had to make two more. One was for me, the one with colors and the other two will be gifts. Though, I have been buying new things this year and not sure where I have room for the pillow, lol.

This one is done on a tea towel, I think it would be better if I used towel yardage to fit it better, this was wider than I realized. I also added a few extras to balance it out a little. No tea stain on this one.


I also finished the red work pillow. I like the thicker thread but I think the red is a bit bright, but also nice for Christmas, it will bring out a pop of color in a prim room. Mine was done a little smaller and using more color. I added an extra tree and some stars for balance and they were both done on tea stained fabric by Moda.

You will also notice the star mat on the chair. I was the lucky recipient of the star rugs, that Kelley made to fit my dining chairs.

You can find the design, as well as others, on Buttermilk Basin's blog, still more freebies to come on the hop.


I also had an idea to make a stocking with wool roving. I found a mitten cookie cutter and used that, by putting the roving inside and felting it. I made them too thin, so I ended up putting the two together and just made one. I think it is not worth using my roving on something like this, better with wool or old sweaters.


We did a lot of shopping this weekend. Presents for the kids of course, but I am refraining from over doing it, they are still young, and Nick loves mega blocks, so I am adding to his collection. We also did some antique and thrift shopping, love finding Christmas items that are hard to find and we finally found a tree we liked. My grandmother had a ceramic studio and made a large beautiful tree that I loved and Bill decided he loved the ones he saw in the store too. Most are expensive and we found this 13" tree at an antique store that has booths. It has bulbs and birds and just the right size to put on top of my book case. Of course my red glass angels come out for Christmas.

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. I am hoping to get all my gifts ready and cards and done by this weekend, so hopefully that works out. I would like to have some rest time this year and I also found some fun snowflake material to make lots of mini pillows to hand out at Christmas. Last year I hid pillows when I went out, this year I want to hand them to people who need a smile or even the clerks at the stores. I can imagine what they go through in a day with all the crazy customers, so they deserve a smile too.


13 comments:

Jennie in GA said...

You have been one busy lady. Living all your Christmas projects!!

Jennie in GA said...

Oops....loving, not living...LOL

Kim said...

As usual, sweet little projects. I just love your random acts of kindness ❤️

Julia said...

Thank you so much for your visit and your kind words. Blogger friends are the kindest and it looks like you are a very kind person who like to make people smile. That is so sweet.

I'm so sorry that you also lost a daughter. I'm doing much better this week. Last week I was an emotional mess. i think that the bad sinus cold and fatigue got the best of me and my biorhythm was at an all time low.

I love your handiwork on those pillows. It has been many years since I've embroidered. It was a fun pastime.

Take care and thanks again.
Julia

Kate said...

Your pillows are lovely, Debbie, and I can't decide which one I prefer - the additions you made were perfect. It's obvious you enjoy Christmas and have the spirit of Christmas.

Karen said...

I like the one made on the tea towel. I saved the design but am unsure how I would finish once stitched.

Sandi said...

What a lucky find and memory of your grandmother. You did a wonderful job on all those pillow, love your angel cat and design adaptations. I've traced mine but no farther.

Have a lovely week!

Unknown said...

Beautiful work...thanks for sharing!

Fiona said...

I do like how you did up those stitcheries... very sweet and so is the mitten. I'm not big on the presents myself.... they seem to have so much that its hard to know what to get....
Hugz

Rugs and Pugs said...

Sweet pillows as always.
I'm sure your RAKs will be much appreciated.
Hugs :)
Lauren

acorn hollow said...

What lovely pillows! So talented. I love those ceramic trees I have one but have not dug it out yet.
Cathy

paulette said...

Your pillows are wonderful! Thanks for the idea of putting them on tea towels! super idea!

Saundra said...

Your pillows are lovely but I adore you mitten.