Friday, August 22, 2014

Friday Finishes!


Another slow week, I spent more time thinking about what to do, so I didn't start until later in the week.  One project I started was an old topper that my friend Kelley sent me. She made the top and I added the green edge for the border and binding. I thought the piece had a Christmas look so I can use it for the holidays.

I was going to practice my machine stitching with it, but decided I needed a simple hand project to work on while I do other things. I am using pearl cotton on this one and a simple stitch in the ditch with an X in the middle for the smaller blocks. They are 1 1/2" in size. The larger block is 4 1/2" and I am doing a stitch in the ditch around the edges, then an X and in-between that I am doing a diamond shape pattern. I thought that it would be simple enough and give it a bit of a snowflake look.

The red is a darker red and the materials are a mix of cotton and brushed cotton so it has a nice look on it's own, which means I won't be antiquing it. But you never know with me;)


 Another project I started is a Christmas piece called "Hand the Stockings", by Joann Mullay. My friend Karen has gifted me with her older patterns and I love using them, fun and quick to do. I have all the pieces ready to place and sew.


10 comments:

Anna said...

some times you just have to take a break and think about what you feel like doing...then inspiration strikes! you never fail to inspire :)

Jacque. said...

Good pieces, Debbie! It's always fun to see what you've done and what you're working on.

Melody said...

I, too, really enjoy seeing your beautiful pieces.

Julie Fukuda said...

The nine-patch is so restful looking and the stockings are cute. I can't even think about my Christmas projects in this heat!

The Rusty Thimble said...

I think this time of the year brings on that slow start for all of us.

Love your projects Debbie

Have a wonderful weekend
Brenda

Rebecca in AK said...

I really love the quilting you are doing on the red topper! Very pretty stitching! The stockings are cute!

Fiona said...

love all the handquilting...
Hugz

Karen said...

I used to have that red fabric that is the setting blocks between the pieced blocks. Nice one.

annie said...

terrific, love the red!

Carrie P. said...

I think the hand quilting is perfect.