Friday, January 11, 2019

Friday Finish and Finds!


This week I finally finished my snowmen and geese piece. But, I am not sure I like how it looks, some areas are too dark and not enough contrast in some, so the geese get lost. I am thinking on it, I also don't like the off white I used in the clouds, seems too yellow for a winter sky. I may fix a few things, but not go too crazy.

I like the green in the trees, it is an over dyed floss that I did. The darker area is a mix of brown to green that I also overdid, but maybe too dark. This is a design by Michelle Palmer.

My piece is 8.5 x 10.5, an inch shorter on the sides since I cropped a bit of the background, on mine.



I have been busy, getting the rest of Christmas down and cleaning up as I go, so I needed a rest day. I decided to make another punch by Michelle, this one is a free design. You can get a copy on her site or the punch needle sites. I changed the colors a bit, I use what I have, and I do like how the variegated red looks in the background.



While I was cleaning, I found this piece, at the bottom of my chest, hidden beneath a ton of fabrics. This was probably one of the first, so called quilts, that I made. No idea what I was thinking, it is a rose flannel and the squares and hearts are felt. I blanket stitched them on, so not exactly a practical material for a quilt. The flannel is nice though, half is unfinished, but I think if I rip off the blocks, it may ruin the flannel, will have to try one. The flannel would make a nice backing for a baby quilt.



And we got a day of treasure hunting in. I basically scan the length of the beach areas, hunt a little and once my hands go numb, we quit, lol. I was thrilled to find the two pieces of turquoise at the bottom. No beach hunting this weekend, it is below freezing and I need to go treasure hunting in the consignment stores, my house looks sad without the decorations and it was time to get rid of old junk, so hoping to find a few new things to decorate with.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!


16 comments:

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Debbie,
Your punched pieces are just wonderful and I especially love the snowman piece!! I like to use the colors I have too, and it always seems to work out!! The quilt is a nice find and lots of lovely colors in it!! I am always amazed by all the wonderful beach glass you find!!! Hope your treasure hunt at the thrift shop yielded great results!!
Enjoy your weekend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie

Shelley said...

I love the snowman piece, especially the clouds in the sky. When the sun hits the clouds at just the right time on a late snowy day, they do look like that. I wouldn't change a thing because I like how the snowman pops while the background recedes. Happy Weekend!

Julie Fukuda said...

I really like your snowman and I think those hearts could be backed with fleece and just tied, It would be nice and cuddly.

acorn hollow said...

I am not sure I would change a thing with the punch needle. I say go with the quilt as is it sounds warm and snugly we are plenty cold so I am always looking for warm.
Cathy

Kate said...

Debbie, I think your snowman and geese is beautiful - I love it! ^^

Saundra said...

Absolutely love your needlepunch pieces, especially the first one!! Great shading!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Hello Debbie... Hope you remember me... Yes, I am back....well, for a bit. I know I said that before, so I cannot promise LOL. Life has a way of changing courses on me. But I have missed all my blog pals. I see you are still your creative...and extremely productive...self. Yikes! I don’t want to think about how long it would take me to punch a piece like your snowman’s and geese. YIKES! It is absolutely adorable. I guess I can see what you are saying about the contrast with the one goose and the tree/background...but not sure I would change it. (I have a tendency to change, and then decide I liked the original better LOL)....and I like the clouds as they are.... Yes, a winter’s sky can look like that...sometimes a winter’s sky here in Nod has more color than any summer sky I’ve seen. Love the sheep heart too..and oh the sea glass!!! How I would love to be able to walk along the beach and discover treasures like that!! What a fun hobby! Happy 2019 to you...Hope to be visiting more often from here on out. Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Rugs and Pugs said...

Snowman and geese is too stinkin' cute. Maybe just lighten up around the one goose if you're unhappy with it. Best do it now before you start finishing. You don't want to finish it and then be sorry.

PaulaB quilts said...

The snowman and geese are charming punch peace. I have a great interest in geese and they look really lively there. The only problem seems to be the head of the upper goose which would stand out better with a lighter background. The heart piece is very sweet. Keep up the good work. I do wish I could be there beachcombing with you.

Karen said...

Your snowman piece was surely a lot of work and time involved. Special piece.

Fiona said...

I always love your punch needle pieces - especially since I don't do it and its amazing. YOu are hard on yourself - your piece with the snowman and geese is lovely.... and in life not everything has a strong contrast.... I think its beautiful...

Hugz

Deb said...

Love your punch needle pieces and the snowman makes me smile, love the beach glass.

The Eveningstitcher said...

I love the little punched snowman...he brings a smile to my face too!!!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Your punched pieces are just beautiful! Certainly does look a little sparse when the Christmas decos are coming down x

Rock River Stitches said...

Wow, You certainly have been busy! I did a few punch needle pieces several years ago. Maybe I should get back to doing that since I'm looking for something new to work on! Always love your work!

Unknown said...

Everything is so gorgeous!! I admire your awesome talent!!! Lecia