Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hexagon Progress!


Last week I was working on my hexagons and now I am wondering it if it worth it, to make a full sized quilt and if I have enough of the gold to finish it. So, I laid it out, as it is now to show you how it looks as a quilt. I planned on filling in the outer sections with the gold, then going around with the red and greens in a border, than one more border in gold. It just doesn't look right to me, what do you think?


And here is what I came up with, for a nice tree skirt, which I do need. I can tuck under the opening and use trim around the circle for the tree opening. Then I can bind or use trim for the outer edge. This would be easiest to do, and what I am leaning towards. I will fill in the spaces with the gold, so not as much extra work to finish. Or I could use this as a middle design and keep building on this and not worry about finishing this year? Would love suggestions, ideas or layouts.


16 comments:

Karen said...

I have no idea if it would work out right. Could you do one hexagon set with the gold around it and one not so that it creates a single line of gold instead of the double line?

Anna said...

I don't know...call me crazy but I LOVE the tree skirt!

Allie said...

Debbie I LOVE it as a tree skirt - the colors are so gorgeous and really do remind me of Christmas! I've never worked with hexagons so I have no clue if it would work, but it would be worth a try!

Linda said...

Stunning and STUNNING!!!

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Eu até pensei como KAREN,mas e o trabalho feito?Desmanchar jamais,é mais trabalho e ficaria feio com marcas.Se você não garante o tecido das bordas,será que daria para solteiro ou criança?Eu sou viciada e decido as bordas primeiro,porque as flores e no seu caso balões,a gente pode improvisar com cores aproximadas.Se é o seu primeiro trabalho, eu sugiro que você conte quantos você vai precisar para as bordas,seja única,dupla ou mais.Tendo essa base,fica mais fácil saber o resto,se flores,balões ou borboletas.Estou fazendo uma de flores em tons rosáceos e as bordas verde inglês,que tem 1800 bordas.Espero que com tradução seja entendida.um grande beijo e não desista.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Love the tree skirt to!!

Dorothy said...

Hi Debbie, If you want the 'gold' to go further you could have a single path of gold going around the diamonds. Just a suggestion.

moosecraft said...

Oh my! I absolutely LOVE these pieces as a tree skirt! It's perfect! My next project is going to be hexagons. I've been meaning to give them a try for some time now...

denise said...

perfect tree skirt!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Love the colors! Have no clue about it as a quilt, looks good, but I like the tree skirt idea too!

paulette said...

Wow!! Regardless of what you do...I'm loving the colours!! Well done!!
P

Anne said...

I love the idea of a tree skirt. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Quite lovely as a tree skirt. I think whatever you do, if you are tired of making hexagons, you'll find a wonderful way to use the diamonds.

Melissa said...

I think all the colours look great. I don't know enough to offer any suggestions on improvements!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I'm totally loving it as a tree skirt! So cool!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Ooooh this is very very nice.!