Friday, July 23, 2010

Antique Penny Rug

I saw an antique penny rug and loved it, so I had to make my own version.
My friend Kelley sent me some bagged pennies, so I used some of those along with mine.
I also cut into some to get a more primitive look.

I love how it came out and am thinking of making some more versions.
I will have it on ebay tomorrow night. I wasn't too pleased with the pictures, so hoping I can get some outdoor shots tomorrow.



I used black cotton ticking for the backing. The type I get is from a local store and it is the nice weight, so gives a bit of substance to the piece. I used walnut spray to antique it and this time, I stitched a name tag to the back.

16 comments:

appleberrycottage said...

Great penny rug! I love the ticking backing. You could even sew the pennies directly onto the ticking for a mixed look.
Laura

Joanne said...

Love the penny rug!

Rock River Stitches said...

Love your penny rug!! Love the idea of the birds on it. And the back is perfectly prim!

Tammy

HomeSpunPrims said...

I love the birds on it too Debbie. They are a nice touch along with the pennies. Love the colors you used too!

Jacque. said...

Awesome penny rug...and the backing is perfect!

primitivebettys said...

Beautiful Debbie! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the birds on it!

Dorothy said...

I really love it.I have just the perfect place for it if you ever tire of having it around. I so like dark colours.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Debbie ~
What a great penny rug! Beautiful colors.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Lori said...

That penny rug is adorable!!! The ticking fits along so well with the front.

The Eveningstitcher said...

Beautiful Debbie! I just love penny rugs...love making them and putting them on my tables. I love the colors and then the pillow ticking on the back..very early looking!

Janene said...

Absolutely gorgeous!
I would love to own one of these...unfortunately I can not stitch at all!
Curious to know how much you would charge to make one of these for a fellow blogger?!

moosecraft said...

Love the front and the back! Great idea to use the ticking for the back too. :-)

Anonymous said...

This rug came out beautifully! I also like the backing and am glad you signed it. All of your wonderful work should be signed in some way. Keep those fingers busy and nimble!

Karmen said...

SUPER Gorgeous!

paulette said...

I think this one is my favourite..so far!! Just love it!! Well done!!
Paulette

Sweet Sue said...

A stunner ~ love it, all of it, every single stitch of it!