Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day and a blast from the past!

A lot of people have been talking about Mother's Day and their moms and it reminded me of how much I miss my mom.
Mothers are not perfect and they can make us crazy as times, but no matter what, we will always love our moms.

This is a photo of my mom, she was around 18 at the time, I think. They got married around the same time my dad went into the Navy during World War II. My mom was a beautiful woman, both inside and out and was always there for us and for others. She loved to sew and craft as did her mom and they are the ones who instilled the love of creating in me.

So, for this mother's day, I thank my mom for my life, my creative side and most of all, her love.



One thing my mom did was sewing and she loved to make clothes. With eight kids, she was very thrifty, so most of our clothes were handmade or hand me downs that she recycled. We were not poor, but coming from the depression, my parents were big on saving, not spending.

The other day, someone mentioned proms coming up. I was lucky to go to the prom with my sweetheart, of almost 34 years now. My mom made me my dress, which at the time, I was not too happy about;) Then she took me to a stylist who thought spit curls was cute, haha. My dad told Bill he had to cut his hair before we got married, it was down his back before. So, he cut it early for the prom. This was in 1975, talk about a blast from the past, lol. I thought it was fun to do with my mom's picture, since we are around the same ages in these photos.

9 comments:

Brenis said...

LOL Deb at the prom pic!! :D
I loved your tribute to your mom!!
Very special!!

Joanne said...

Oh Debbie your prom pic is priceless - Look at you in that dress and spitcurls and Bill with all that hair!

Oh and your mom was very beautiful and your father very handsome!

Happy Mother's Day to you too!

Mary said...

Debbie-What a nice way to honor your mother! Very touching! And looooovvvvveeee that prom picture!

Karmen said...

You do look like your mom! How cool are those pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Love your tribute to your mom Debbie. So sweet.
The prom picture is great too. LOL, would never show mine.

primitivebettys said...

Love the photos! Happy Mother's Day to you, Debbie! :)

HomeSpunPrims said...

What a touching tribute to your mom Debbie. My mom left long before we were ready at 57 and I often think of all we have missed with her. The picture of your mom and dad remind me of some I have of my parents.

That prom pic is priceless!

Lori R

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Isn't it great to step back in time! Love the pictures. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's day!

Jacque. said...

Oh, Debbie. How nice is that...love the photo of your Mom & Dad! But, I especially like the prom one!