Monday, May 7, 2018

Monday Works and Wanderings!


This weekend I was able to get some more of my quilt done. I am doing a simple black stitching around the edges and in the larger solid blocks, I was thinking of adding a stitched heart in the middle. Then to attach the back, I will do a tack in the middle of each heart.

I might just stick with a simple border stitch on the outer borders. It is not a the best quilt, as you can see by the crooked piecing, so I don't want to spend too much time on fancy stitching.


This weekend we got out for some beach time. The tide was higher, but it was going down, so we were able to enjoy walking on the beach and watching the seagulls fight for food. This guy wasn't going to share his dinner with anyone, and swallowed the whole fish.


Even though the tide was higher, it was down enough to find glass. We walked to the far end where it is rocky and found a few nice pieces, then on the way back, we searched on the newly exposed areas and found more. This beach had some nice pieces of pottery, as well.


Sunday was a cloudy day with predicted rain. I decided it was worth going to the beach, even if we could only spend an hour, I just feel so much better at the ocean. The tide was higher so we dug in the piles of stones and found quite a few nice pieces.

I circled one stone, at least it looks like a stone, but something made me keep it. When you put a light under it, it is green. You never know with older, thick glass. It is so dark it looks like a stone, but one indicator for me is, when it starts drying, it gets the salt specks on it. I am glad I didn't throw it back.

I also collected some tiny bits to put in my wave. Some stones go into the garden pile. When I find things, I can't always tell how they really look until they dry, especially the white stones. I think I need to bring a flashlight with me, for next time, I could be passing up old glass and not know it. And I think I need to get more glass jars to store all my treasures;)


11 comments:

julieQ said...

I wanna go beach combing with you! Love your pretty hand stitches!

acorn hollow said...

I love your quilt such pretty colors! You are the master of finding sea glass so pretty
Cathy

Kate said...

I like the black stitching on your quilt, Debbie. Great shot of the seagull!

Saundra said...

Good grief, I'm surprised the whole fish went down the bird's throat and that his stomach would accept that size meal all at once.

Sandi said...

I'm amazed that he even attempted to get that fish down in one bite...hope he didn't have a fish hangover!

Cute quilt project in progress. Great beach combing!

Karen said...

Are you going to be painting rocks again?

Fiona said...

I love the quilt and how you are quilting it..... what a greedy seagull - it's amazing what they can get down.... a good haul of glass there...
Hugz

Raymond Homestead said...

Your quilt is coming along nicely!

Julie Fukuda said...

A lot to comment on this time. The quilt is so comfy-looking. That greedy seagull! I wonder if he could fly after swallowing such a huge fish. And, your collection is growing... Love it!

Allie-oops Designs said...

Your hand stitches are just gorgeous!!! Love this quilt. That poor seagull - wonder if he regretted any part of that?? Love your new bits!!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

The seagull pictures are award winning!
At the rate you are finding sea glass, you will need many more jars.