Monday, April 18, 2016

Weekend Wanderings!


This weekend was full of emotions, a year has gone by and Danielle's birthday. I wanted to finish her quilt for this birthday, but by the time my joints loosened back up, it was a few days away and when I took it out to look at it, I realized I had sewed on a few blocks, on four different rows, backwards, so I will be doing some seam ripping before I can sew it together. I will finish it and I will decide what I want to do with it someday, when the time is right.

We found some beautiful pink flowers and planted those in front of her gravestone and then we took a walk at one of her favorite spots. It was good for me to do something for her and with her in spirit.

On Sunday it was a beautiful day so we decided to go to the island and walk around at the other forts. I started out with little energy but once I got out in the fresh ocean air I got some of my energy back and we ended up exploring new path ways at the different areas of the fort.

The first stop was the pier in Jamestown. We drive by every time we go there, so this time we stopped and walked along the docks and enjoyed watching the local fishermen and tourists who frequent this area. That is the Newport Bridge in the distance.



This is a panorama from the top of the forts. There are turrets where the gunners would stand watch and underground bunkers below that I have no desire to go into.



At another section of the park, there is a beach and we sat on the rocks to enjoy the views and Bean was people watching as usual.



One area we climbed goes up to a high peak, above where we are sitting, but not much of a pathway, so we just stopped at the top. Bean loves to climb, he is really agile, but also too daring, so we keep him on a short lead, when we are on the cliff areas.



We found a new path that took us up to the highest point on the coves, I think I could just sit here all day.


And on the way home, we stopped so I could take a photo of the windmill. Yes we have a windmill in Rhode Island, at least one. I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and if you didn't, I hope that you can get out and find the hidden treasures in your area.


16 comments:

Sandi said...

Looks like an amazing weather weekend and despite the sad anniversary you, your husband and Bean appear to have had a lovely weekend.

We've had some great weather and today I saw it was 88F in ?Seattle. We only got to just above 70. It's so good to see the green leaves bursting. Out on all the trees around us.

You and the quilt will get on the right road and finish the journey one day soon.

Take care.

The Eveningstitcher said...

Such a beautiful area you live in Deb...everytime I read your posts about Danielle...I tear up....you are such a brave soul and I am so honored to read your posts about your lovely daughter. God has put you on a path, Deb....a path not traveled by a lot of us. You are teaching us all how love, loyalty, faith, and endurance...even through the worst of times, can make us all stronger and to be a much more loving person...God Bless you and thank you....

newburyarts said...

*****here in Massachusetts we often forget just how wonderful rhode island is to visit. however...that Newport bridge is one scary modern invention!!! many years ago
we lost a two year old to a pediatric cancer...we understand very much how you feel.
so...time to return to your state and play tourists!!! you and your family are very much in our thoughts! tom and barbara

Allie-oops Designs said...

So glad you had fun, such a beautiful area!!!

cucki said...

So beautiful x

acorn hollow said...

So pretty my daughter went to URI so we explored your state years ago. It always made us laugh that her off campus housing was a beach house in Narragansett. We always told her she was living the life.
Thinking of you
Cathy

kelley said...

Bean looks like he is raring to go...I love that you were able to get out and enjoy Dani's favorite spots...I know she is always with you in spirit...hope you keep getting more energy back!

marie said...

It was good that you could visit some of Danielle's favorite places. She will always be with you in spirit.
I love it when you take photos of places I remember in RI. That was a fabulous shot of the Newport Bridge. I remember when it wasn't there and you had to take a ferry from Newport to Jamestown. I've only been over the bridge a few times as I left RI right after it was built. I don't like heights so it's not a favorite thing to do.
Enjoy the spring weather, it soon will be warming up for you to go paddling once again.

paulette said...

Absolutely STUNNING scenery!! Thanks for taking us along...
P

Saundra said...

Oh what a beautiful hooked piece it would be with the water and the wood pilings in the the foreground. Bean is quite an alert and active boy like my Ben except Bean is younger and more playful... IF that is possible.

Fiona said...

Hi Debbie, any anniversaries are hard and yet full of fond memories too.... you went for a lovely walk and the quilt will be done in no time....
Hugz

Barbara said...

Pretty pictures...big hug to you.

usagypsy said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful angel. Such a peaceful, gorgeous area!
Nancy

Julie Fukuda said...

The scenery is just beautiful and the day looks super too. There is a lot to be said for walking with memories.
The quilt will get done in its own time.

Kim said...

You found a great way to honor this painful anniversary. I know that your daughter would be proud of your strength. The scenery is beautiful. It really is true that the fresh ocean air re-energizes you. We are both lucky we live in places that are only a short drive to the ocean.

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Love them both! Sometimes I mist (spray very lightly) instant coffee or instant tea to make it look older if it is too bright! Bet you already knew that, but it does give it a great look! Also sometimes I put in in my oven to dry it! Don't take my eyes off it though! 😄