Monday, December 29, 2014

Weekend Wanderings!


Since Bill has the week off, we have been getting out and doing some shopping and exploring new areas. We went to the antique consignment first, hoping for some after Christmas sales but the things I had my eyes on, were gone and the rest was over priced, so no buys there.

Then I wanted to try a back road and go around the area in a circle to see what was there. It was a long back road that came out to some beautiful lakes, great places to revisit in the kayaks this summer. I didn't realize the circle came back to another town, called Chepatchet. Chepatchet is home to several antique stores and a primitive country store, so of course we stopped in town and walked around.

Love the old buildings and the colors on the different shops. These two shops are well worth a visit.
The gold building is home to The Town Trader. It is a huge antique store, filled from top to bottom with antiques and newer items mixed in. There were a lot of things I loved, especially a huge trencher, but I refrained from buying anything, trying to be more practical this year.

The second building is Brown and Hopkins Country Store. It is a two story building filled with country and primitive wares, as well as an old fashioned candy counter. They still had all of their Christmas items on display and everything was half off, I know I will regret not buying some things;)



The bridge out of town was a nice place to walk and give Bean some time out. Old mills and homes line the streets going out of town, as well.



And, I am working on a project, though a bit slowly. This design is a free design from Broderie D'Antan. They have a lot of different types of designs that you can use and always adding new ones, each week.

The floss that I used is Finca, I like how it looks in the piece, though it doesn't show as well in a photo. This has more to come and will be a candle mat.


12 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

That reminds me of some back roads in NJ that go on and on and finally come out a mike from where they started. Must have been built on cow trails.

Jacque. said...

Always exploring...what fun. That candle mat looks lovely thus far.

gracie said...

Oh my, it has been such along time since I was in Chepachet! When I was first married we lived there. Quaint town. Love Brown's....

Kate said...

I enjoy your weekend wanderings.
Your candle mat is lovely.

acorn hollow said...

that place was a good find. And good to go back this summer for a paddle.
enjoy the rest of your week.
Cathy

Rugs and Pugs said...

Sounds like a perfect town to wander and browse.
Happy New Year.
Hugs :)
Lauren

moosecraft said...

Fun looking town! It's always great to get out and see what's in the area shops.... even if you don't find anything. Love the candle mat!

Lori said...

What a fun way to spend days off.

Vicki Jo said...

You visited my favorite two stores! I love to drive up the road with my daughter to Chepachet and visit Brown & Hopkins and the Town Trader! Many happy memories! Such a treat to see that you have visited there, too. Happy new year!

WoolenSails said...

Vicki, you didn't have an email so I am answering you here. I love the stores in that area and it is always a nice ride. What are are you in?

Debbie

Allie said...

What a lovely surprise to come upon that town - looks wonderful! And I love your stitching!

Dawn said...

I'd love to explore that area, thanks for sharing the fun. The candle mat is looking good.
Thanks for sharing!