Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Winners and Gourdy's Gang!


Today I finished my Gourdy's Gang. I won the pattern from Brenda of Pumpkin Patch Primitives. I won it a few years ago and I finally made it and so glad I did. It was fun and it made me smile as I worked on it.


Of course I made a few changes, such as the top pumpkin was a one eyed pumpkin and I gave it two. I also used yarn for his stem, by making a twisted cord with Boucle yarn and then stitching it onto the piece. I used a loose weave wool for the background and that enabled me to use pearl cotton for the webs and yarn for the spiders legs. When I finished the piece, I used a heavy weight fusible, then put the backing on and fused it all together, then cut both peices at once to get even edges. The fusible made it easier to cut the back with the front and held the pieces together while I did the blanket stitch on the edge. The edge was done with an over dyed pearl cotton.

I lightened the photo, so you could see the details better, so the colors are a bit brighter than they actually are.


And now onto the winners! The first right answer came from Fiona, who said it was Bill and she was right. We both laughed at your answers, some were funny when you think about it, calling Bill a whale, especially, lol. For the second winner, #20 who was Dawn. Congratulations ladies, pick any epattern that you would like and email me with your choice. For those who asked and wondered about my mermaid dog, I did not make that, it was sitting like that on the beach, well maybe not with glasses;)

23 comments:

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Love the gourdy gang and boy Bill makes a great water creature!

cucki said...

congratulations to winner and i really love the gang so much..super cute xx

moosecraft said...

Gourdy's Gang stitched up fabulous! I always enjoy seeing how you change patterns up here and there and make it just right! Congrats to the winners!

denise said...

love gourdy!!! what a cute stitch! denise

Anonymous said...

Ooooo Gourdy is good!

Joanne Lendaro said...

Gotta tell ya, the little part of the picture that shows up in blogger reader just made me laugh!! This little pumpkin guy on top of the other one was funny! You are so tempting...not into wool, too many other unfinished projects, but oooohhh, how tempting you make it!! Love seeing your work, it's always fabulous!!

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Too funny! That was a fun give away! I just found your sales links on your blog...Cute things! You have a nice look to your art!

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Love your gourdy gang!!

Karen said...

You have a knack of being able to make changes to a design that make a piece uniquely yours. When I made mine, I made it as drawn on the pattern sheet.

Kim said...

Gourdy's Gang is fabulous!

paulette said...

Love it, Debbie!! Very Halloweeny...and love those spiderwebs!
P

Jacqueline said...

Love the wallhanging.. Thanks for sharing.

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Love the wall hanging! Congrats to the lucky winners and thank you again for the fun giveaway!

Deb said...

Your Gordy's Gang is great! Really love the colors in the whole piece. It looks like it was fun to put together.

Lori said...

Love your Gourdy's gang. I have one too and it always makes me smile.

Melody said...

Such a delightful wall hanging. I love your version.

Fiona said...

Love the gourdy gang... thanks so much for the pattern...
how fun...
Hugz

Allie said...

What a fantastic quilt Debbie, I love it!!! Those faces are so cute. Poor Bill - can't believe you got a pic of that, lol! Congrats to your winners!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Congrats to both of the winners!
Your Gourdy's Gang is adorable. The changes you made are perfect, after all, who every heard of a one eyed jack o lantern.

Dawn said...

Gourdy's Gang is just the cutest! They make me smile.

Dawn said...

It's me Dawn - I'm so lucky - LOVE your e-patterns. The cat and dog together are very nice!
Thank you!
I'm still red in the face - tell DH I'm not around swimmers or water much ;-)

Gail said...

You did a wonderful job on "Gourdy's Gang" It's so whimsical. I've never tried worked with wool applique and quilting but I know it's very popular now and there were a lot of wool vendors at the Mancuso Quilt Show in Manchester, NH last month.

You have a great blog, BTW!

Gail :)
P.S. That was a cute photo of baby mermaid, lol.

Gail said...

You did a wonderful job on "Gourdy's Gang" It's so whimsical. I've never tried worked with wool applique and quilting but I know it's very popular now and there were a lot of wool vendors at the Mancuso Quilt Show in Manchester, NH last month.

You have a great blog, BTW!

Gail :)
P.S. That was a cute photo of baby mermaid, lol.