Monday, August 27, 2012

Locker Hooking and Vintage Thread!


This weekend I decided I needed to make my own rug for the front entrance, since I haven't found anything I like. I have locker hooking supplies and I need to use up some stash, so this is the perfect project. I also got some extra supplies from Chris at We Love Quilting. She sent me a box of rug hooking supplies along with locker hooking tools and a book, which I didn't have. The hooks she sent me are from John James, so much nicer than the cheap one I had.

I am just doing a basic hit and miss rug and using up colors that I really don't use in quilting and I do have quite a few reds. This will be at the entrance so it will be walked on a lot and get dirty, but it is washable, which is nice. A great project to use your scraps on.


Another item I have had and trying to decide what to use them for, are vintage threads that my friend Lauri from Threads of Miz, sent me. I am wondering, should I use them? They are in good condition and beautiful threads and I could use them in embroidery projects or stitchery and they seem thin enough to punch with. Should I use them?

There are more colors underneath, it is a complete set.


9 comments:

Karen said...

I tried locker hooking and found it too hard on the hands. I have been told that the more you work on the pieced, the softer the mesh gets and easier to work with.

paulette said...

Try pulling the thread to see how strong it is. Does it break with just a little tug? If not then go ahead and use it! Very pretty colours!
P

Kris said...

Ohhh, Debbie - that locker hooking looks really neat!! I have never heard of it - is it worth the effort and do you just use 100% cotton quilt fabric?? Guess a Google is in my future!!

moosecraft said...

The locker hooking is looking great! I have never tried it. I like the thread as a display piece... but, if you have something in mind for it, then use it. After all, the antiqueing has already been done! lol!

Fiona said...

the locker hooking looks great... I have never heard of it... how fun to have those threads - I would be very torn between using them and just looking at them!! lovely colours
Hugz

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Locker Hooking is new to me too but it looks great. Seems you got pretty far so it must not be too bad to do???
Love the thread to look at and use.

Anna said...

love the start of the rug! Red is such a great color. As for the thread...they should be used but knowing me I would want them all together in that really cool box. lol

Allie said...

That rug is looking AWESOME. Are you using fabric scraps? That is so cool!

Yes, I'd use the threads, probably for quilting! If they work well for punching, then go for it!

Jennifer @ Inkled Pink said...

Vintage embroidery thread is fun! I found some at an estate sale that I can't bring myself to use. I wrote about it it was so pretty. http://wp.me/p22eHt-N Did you ever use it?