Wednesday, August 29, 2012

An Almost Charity Quilt!


Yesterday I decided I wanted to start a charity quilt, something simple that I could finish in a day. Well, you know how that goes, it became another lesson in, what not to do.

Rosemary Youngs has started a drive to make quilts for the orphanage in Uganda. These are basic quilts, a top and a flannel back, since they do not need heavy blankets. I thought it was a good way for me to get started with charity quilting and a wonderful cause. Rosemary also has free patterns with applique and blocks, so be sure to visit her webpage, as well. She also has instructions on quilt construction, on her website, something easy that you can do, use up your stash and help the children in Uganda.

I started out with a charm pack called Little Apples that was given to me by Linda of This and That fabrics for my charity quilts. I wanted to use the designs so you could see them, so I thought, half triangles would be nice, but it didn't look right. So, I cut them again into smaller triangles and the blocks became smaller. I have nothing that matches the colors and I want to use us my stash, so I found a red/orange shade with two of my fabrics. I liked the contrast it gave, what do you think? Of course the colors are not the same online, as in person.

Now the problem is, what do I add to enlarge it? I will have to go to jo anns to see if they have something that matches it, would be nice if I could find a print in those colors. It is for a child, so I want it to be fun and make them smile. Right now it is only 25" x 32".

The homespun is something I bought and the solid is Kona fabric that I won from Jane of Jane's Fabrics.

The next quilt will be larger blocks with fun prints, no more triangles;) No matter how carefully I piece and cut, I can never match them up.


3 comments:

moosecraft said...

Looks great, Debbie! Anybody would love to have that quilt!

Allie said...

That is just darling - how good of you to do this!!!

Pamela@ The Sampler Makers Farmhouse said...

The sky blue is very uplifting~ A lovely color choice!