Monday, March 12, 2012

Friends Stitchery!

I was so happy to finish this piece and love how it came out. Then I decided to give it a light antiquing, big mistake. I used hand dyed threads that I won from Laura of ArtFabrik and I love how the larger thread looked in the flowers and the beautiful variations in the shades. But... I wasn't thinking, they are hand dyed and red shades in there and yes, I did it again, ruined another piece.

I made this for a friend for a friend and spring piece, so wanted spring colors, now if I can figure out how to fix it. The design is a free design by Elin's Kreative Side. If you scroll down the page a bit, you will find a label column with freebies.


I also went shopping this weekend, and while trying to find the quilt store, that moved, I found a new one, lol. They have lots of wonderful civil war and Judy Rothermel prints. I couldn't resist the civil war squares, fun fabric to quilt and use for stuffed kitties and things. The red print was just too pretty, not to get for a future project;)



Then I stopped at the pfaff store to get some needles, that is all I wanted and walked out with a new book. I wasn't going to get it, but my husband made me buy it;) It is Bonnie's Garden by Bonnie Sullivan and it is well worth the price. A lot of beautiful projects and rug hooking and a punched piece, so it will not be sitting on the shelf. A few kitty patterns too, of course I will be doing those.

I am thinking of making this piece first, nice for spring and I need some new decorations.


And I really love this one, I will make that later when I get better at piecing and my brain is working better, I am making too many dumb mistakes lately and forgetting, do not get dyed reds, wet!




16 comments:

Allie said...

Oh Debbie what a disappointment! That is a really darling piece too. I hope you can save it! I love the pics from the book you got, well done!

Robin Leuschen said...

I've done that before. I feel so bad for you !! Your work is so wonderful then BAM ( Emeril imitation) ruined !..
On a better note, love the fabric and the book you bought !!
Robin

Fiona said...

what a shame about the thread... it is such a cute piece.... lovely book and fabrics you have found...
Hugz

moosecraft said...

Love the stitchery and the ribbon flowers are a great idea! The fabrics are absolutely gorgeous! I could not resist the Bonnie's Garden book neither... I know you will create something from it before I do though!!! ;-)

Jacque. said...

oh wow...that's too bad. A lovely piece, nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

I hate to say but I am learning by your mistakes....gosh darn how frustrating to see a piece bleed! I've made note to self. What a pretty future project!

Deb said...

I think that your stitchery still looks nice. I'm wondering you could add a little more red in spots so it looks like it's suppose to be that way. Red is one color that I cringe if I get it wet because you never know what it's going to do.

Carrie P. said...

Oh, don't show me the pictures in the book! I love them both. Have fun creating them.
You are getting some of those UFOS finished. Good for you.

Vicki W said...

Try soaking it overnight in a sink full of hot water and a little bit if dish soap. Then rinse a couple of times in cold water. That should get out the excess dye. Let me know how it works out.

Karen said...

I wouldn't have thought about the floss running either. Red can be such a problem. The piece is cute. Maybe you can stitch another.

Linda said...

Oh that is a disappointment, but I'm not sure I would have noticed if you didn't point it out. Just adds character.

Fabric is gorgeous!!!!!! What beautiful projects you've been looking at!!

Laura Wasilowski said...

Hi Debbie,
I am sorry about the red thread back dyeing on your lovely piece. Red is always a problem in dyeing. It is hard to get it to completely rinse out of the fabric or thread.

The cautionary note on my web site about the problem with red should probably be highlighted more!

I happy to hear that your efforts to wash the fabric worked. And look forward to seeing the final piece.

Laura

Anna said...

Own a quilt that was my tea dyeing disaster...you'd think we would learn but we have such faith. lol

Nancy in MT said...

I know I would love that book.

paulette said...

Ohhh too bad about the red thread!! Such a sweet little piece of work too!! I wouldn't give up on it...soak in Oxyclean or Colour Catchers or something...keep trying!!
LOVE THAT BOOK!! I will have to find that one...just what I need more patterns...but can still drool over it!! haha (You hubby sounds wonderful!!)
P

Carole said...

Oh, I love that book! My friend Cheryl from Australia bought it for me! Many wonderful patterns in there. Have fun! Cheers!