Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hand quilting!

I finally finished all of the outline stitchings in the blocks and strips and now I am stitching around the appliqués. I decided it needed it and as you can see on this piece, it needs something else in the empty spaces? I was thinking of adding some scattered words, of encouragement?

It is not as cockeyed as it looks, it is lying on the couch.Yes, I forgot to take out the pins. I used iron on batting, but added some pins to the middle of the block to keep it from shifting.



And this is my red buddy, he knows I want to take a nice photo of him and he sits on the branches and looks at me, all the time, but the minute I get the camera out, he hides. I guess he is camera shy.


Two new visitors came today. They were shy too, but I was able to get a shot of them while they rested in the neighbor's tree. With the warmer weather, it seems our area is filled with birds and today it was a cacophony of songs.


9 comments:

Linda said...

I think the outline quilting was a great idea. Makes the appliqué pop! Quilting words would be a perfect filler. Love it. Cute little feathered friends you have. :-)

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

The outline quilting is a wonderful idea. Encouraging words in the white spaces will mean so much to your sister. We have a pair of Cardinals that just started to visit us.
They are so pretty.
Hugs,
Susan

cucki said...

yup..the outline quilting is a really lovely idea..it is looking so lovely..ia m still looking for this book crazily here..finger crossed..i love it madly..
sweetie birdies..
sending you hugs dear friend..
love and kisses xx

moosecraft said...

Quilting looks great on that angel block! Mr. Red sure is R*E*D! Absolutely stunning against the grey branches!

Jacque. said...

You're doing great, Debbie. Words would be perfect in the spaces!

Allie said...

Beautiful! I think words would be perfect. GREAT shots of the birds, especially - are those doves? Gorgeous.

marie said...

The hand quilting looks great. Loved the cardinal picture. They for some reason are not in the NW and I miss seeing them year round like I did when living in Fl

Lorna/Live Oak Primitive Peddler said...

Hi Debbie,
Love the quilt!! The stitching around the appliques really adds to it.
I have a quilt ready for the quilting frame, need to get it in there so I can quilt a little here and there.
Sweet birds!!
Hugs,
Lorna

Soggibottom said...

Fantasic photo's Debbie, you know I bet the birds had other watchers too :-) Your quilt is a marvel ... love it.
:-) X X X