Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Quilting and Dying!

Today I did a little of this and that.
I started a new quilt for my bed, a braid using the Accuquilt Go Chisel die.
These are my first three strips, of two color variations and a third will go in the mix.
My bed is high, so I am thinking about using a black ruffle for the outer side edges, what do you think?



I found a package of rolled felt that I bought years ago. It was yellowing from sitting so long, so I washed it out and threw into a dye pot. I used; brown, black, green, tan and yellow rit dye to make a mud bath;) The felt was pure white, so now it is aged tan. It is tablecloth size, so I might do applique on it with felt and make a holiday table cloth with it. The water was still dripping from the bottom, the original color was brown, but it dripped out and left a nice tan cast.



Since I had more mud bath left, I threw in some old wool yardage. I bought this from a store that sells, by the pound, so not sure if it was 100% wool. One took the dye and gave it a nice mottled look, the other got a little darker, so at least they are not brights anymore. They will be good for quilting projects, they have a nice soft loft.

14 comments:

Allie said...

That braid is gorgeous! Not sure about the ruffle - I can't quite picture it - but I have a feeling that if you try it and like it, I will too. I love your design style and taste. Your wool turned out lovely, especially that mottled one!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

My you have got quite a bit accomplished on your quilt. Love the braid design and colors.
Your dyed wool turned out very nice and really like the mottled one.

Your welcome quilt in the previous post is Awesome! You get done so much every week :)

TheCrankyCrow said...

Girl - I could never keep up with you!!! Yikes - you just keep on keeping on and cranking things out! Love the new quilt! Ummmm...ruffle??? I'm not really feeling ruffles....(you asked!) but, hey - surprise us! Smiles & Hugs, Robin

moosecraft said...

The braided quilt is gorgeous!!! I like that your are alternating the light and dark rows of braids too... seriously... it's gorgeous! :-)

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Love the quilt!

The dyed wool looks great too. I like the colors. I'm anxious to get some dyeing done this weekend. I've been away from the pots too long!
Courtney

~Madalynne~ said...

Off to a good start on that quilt Debbie. I like the braid pattern. A black ruffle sounds really cool.

Linda said...

Braid quilt is going to be gorgeous! Wool looks beautiful.

Deb said...

I really like your braid quilt. I'm kind of on the fence about the ruffle. I guess I would have to see it.

Love that mottled wool! Ymmmmm!

Beckyjean said...

Love the braid quilt!! Not too sure about the ruffles, but I guess I'd have to see it.

Have a wonderful day~Becky

BubzRugz said...

Love the braids and the wools you have dyed...
Hugz

Rugs and Pugs said...

LOVE the new quilt! Just can't picture a ruffle.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Joanne Lendaro said...

Great quilt, but becareful of black...it shows the dust and hair. Growing up my parents had brown carpet, thought it was going to be a great "not show the dirt" kinda thing...WRONG!!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Clever mud bath technique to darken your wools. I will pass that on to my sister.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Oh and the braided quilt is beautiful and the ruffle edge would be unusual for a quilt but may work nicely with your primitives.