Monday, April 23, 2018

Weekend wanderings and finds!


This weekend, we did our usual beach combing. I want to take advantage of the good beach while I can, in a few weeks the campground will be open and they charge 20.00, to use the area. The campground has beautiful views, but a bit crowded for me and hard to get in.

It is always good when I can hit the tide at the right time, when it is going out, I can stand at the edge of the rock piles and grab the glass that gets thrown up and find some hidden under the piles, you can find more, as well.


During our shopping trips, I got some shell lights for my beach tree and I found these smaller bottles that are perfect to help separate the glass by size. I have a large one for the big pieces and one for the tiny pieces, so these will be for the medium sizes, I just threw some of the glass in, that I found this weekend.


On Sunday we took Nick out for a hike. He loved exploring the buildings and climbing on the rocks. We had a nice view of the pond from the tower.


Nick was curious about the little bunk houses, not so sure I would want to sleep in one. 



This is a camp for boy scout troops. It is a big area and they have several buildings, including an area for services.


The building actually leads to a larger amphitheater, where they have gatherings and services.


This chapel was used in the movie, Moonrise Kingdom. It was filmed in Rhode Island and this camp and the surrounding forests were we hike, were also part of the movie. My Sister in Law had a small part, Bruce Willis knocked on her door, looking for the kids. They wanted authentic, older homes and hers is off the main road.

It was fun to spend some time with him, but he got tired easily and wanted to go home. I think we need to get him out more, he is spending too much time in the house;)


10 comments:

Fiona said...

the glass pieces look great in the bottle and fun to see the building that was in a movie - i havent seen iy though..
hugz

Julie Fukuda said...

nice way to grab the weekends before the crowds move in.

Sandi said...

Fun bottle to keep your bounty in, they look like are reproduction ones.

Looks like you had some gorgeous weather, we did also and looking forward to even more.

Nick may have been with you for a short while but it looks like he had a fun time.

annie said...

I enjoyed your post! I don’t have a beach but I search for shards along the river banks after high water. I got a few nice pieces two weeks ago. The best this time around were some old pieces of brown crocks. I was looking for pieces to drill thinking I’d make some necklaces. I have been meaning to try that for awhile. I haven't tried drilling glass but have been picking up pieces for several years now. I have a rock tumbler but need to get some sand for that.

The camp looks wonderful. Lovely setting

Your boy has grown.
I really like those jars too!

acorn hollow said...

Great glass! I am sure Nick likes to get out of the house on these nice days.
I have never heard of that movie.
cathy

Saundra said...

Interesting, I remember that movie.

Rugs and Pugs said...

I am just amazed at the glass you find!
I was wondering when Nick was going to go on adventures with you. I know my grandson at 13 wants to do nothing but play video games...sigh.

Karen said...

Your glass pieces remind me of terazzo tiles.

PaulaB quilts said...

All your photos brought back my memories of growing up in RI. I was a real beachcomber and enjoyed times at Point Judith, East Greenwich Bay and especially Westerly. Here in Wisconsin I miss the ocean. Lakes are not the same. Love seeing all your beach glass and hope you wil make something out of them, especially the little fish. Your tree ornaments are adorable and the pillows are really clever use of the denim and rope.

PaulaB quilts said...

All your photos brought back my memories of growing up in RI. I was a real beachcomber and enjoyed times at Point Judith, East Greenwich Bay and especially Westerly. Here in Wisconsin I miss the ocean. Lakes are not the same. Love seeing all your beach glass and hope you wil make something out of them, especially the little fish. Your tree ornaments are adorable and the pillows are really clever use of the denim and rope.