Friday, April 20, 2018

Friday Finishes: Beach Pillows!


I finally sat down and made some pillows. I wanted to try the denim materials I have been saving and do something simple, with raw edge.

On the ship pillow, I used a think base fabric and laid the denim strips on top. I sew them down on one edge, over lapping each edge. The sail and ship are also old pant material.

The anchor, I did not use a base material. I sewed one strip to the first strip, then the one below. The anchor was some old ticking, I had.

The pillows are 18" and 16". They will ravel more as they get used. Next I need to start a quilt, I have lots of jeans and I just cut some more, today. The ship I drew out on paper to make templates, the anchor I got from a coloring page.


Since I used pillow forms, I didn't want to leave an opening, since it would have to be wide. I decided it was time to try an envelope back and I didn't do too bad, considering I have no idea what I was doing and just figured it out.

The material was from my friend Karen, I thought it was a fun print for these.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend. We have some decent weather so hoping to get out for some walks.



9 comments:

julieQ said...

Those are super fun pillows! When we were little, my mom made us big pillows for the floor and just to sit on. I loved them!

Sandi said...

Fun pillows, they came together nicely. Have a good weekend hope you have good weather.

acorn hollow said...

Just wonderful pillows.
It is nice to see the sun today hopefully we are over these colds and getting out.
Cathy

gracie said...

Love the pillows!

Rugs and Pugs said...

The different shades of denim are the perfect background. Fun pillows!

Dawn said...

Your denim pillows are wonderful! I also,think your envelope back turned out great.
When we were kids we had drawstring denim marble bags.
Looking forward to seeing your next denim project!

Allie-oops Designs said...

Those turned out really darling, Debbie, I love the use of pant material! It gives them a rustic beachy look. Well done, girl!

Deb said...

Your pillows turned out lovely.

Julie Fukuda said...

Better use of scrap denim than I am now doing. My boss has charged me with repairing her ripped up jeans. I love your creative use of materials.