Monday, February 8, 2016

Monday Finish!


It was a long weekend, a storm on Friday so Bill took the day off and then today we got another storm so he stayed home again. That is the benefit of being salaried, he doesn't lose money and it is not worth driving 45 minutes in this weather.

Of course that meant I didn't get much done and we did get out for a few days so that was good.
I decided to make something quick and simple and if you are looking for something to finish in a day, this is the perfect heart to make, just in time for Valentines Day.

The design can be found at All Free Crafts and it was actually a design to paint on a T-shirt, but I thought it made a nice Valentines bowl filler. I traced the design onto the backing and then went around the design to get the heart shape. When I sewed it to the backing, I used the end stitching as a guide to go around the heart. The leaves would have been nicer if i stitched them, but I was lazy and wanted to go quickly, so I used a lazy daisy stitch.

I added the stitched heart in the middle, it was an empty space and I could not find a way to fit a word, so I went with simple. I also used walnut ink and it was not working right and kept leaving large dark spots in a couple of spaces and the rest stayed light, so I had to rinse and redo a few times.


We went for a ride down the back roads and enjoyed the views of snow covered ponds and rivers. This was an old mill and they redid the area into a park so everyone can enjoy it.


Of course we headed to the stores at the south end of the state, you never know what you will find and this time I found some starfish lights. They are perfect to put in my beach room to add a little magic. I just put them around the planter for a photo, but I have another set and will be redoing the room a few times as I add new things and get a better plan on where I want things.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend and not too much snow in your  area. We are getting hit with snow this week, so a good week to stay home and work on projects.


15 comments:

gracie said...

Wonderful hearts and those lights are great!

Kate said...

Debbie, I love your bowl of hearts! Thanks for the link to your newest heart.
Starfish lights - what a find!!

Karen said...

You have a wonderful bowl to fill. I would like to find something like that.

paulette said...

Your bowl fillers are wonderful..and I like the added touch of a candle in the middle! Your wooden bowl is PERFECT for a display!

TheCrankyCrow said...

That is really sweet...and I also love the little crazy quilt heart it is sharing the bowl with... Snow...yes, it's really a 4-letter word this time of year, isn't it? It's has been snowing since yesterday - not terribly much, but the wind thinks it's fun to whip it around and make it look like it's snowing even when it isn't. Brrrrr.... Stay warm, cozy, and safe! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Raymond Homestead said...

Love it, makes a nice heart!

Sandi said...

Love how you adapted the design, thanks for the resource, will have to see what else they have to share.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Beautiful picture of the old mill!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Saundra said...

The primitive heart stitched in the middle really added to the piece. Love it!!!

Allie-oops Designs said...

I love the heart you added to the middle! Well done! The snow looks so pretty - we're getting covered right now, everything looks sugar-coated. Love it. Your starfish lights are an incredible find!

moosecraft said...

Beautiful heart! I like the patchwork one with it too! The picture of the old mill looks like a postcard... picture perfect! Another great find with those starfish lights! We had the Friday snow which really messed up the morning commute... but, we lucked out and missed monday's and yesterday's snow... hopefully the snow will end when February ends... lol! Have a great week!

Sherry said...

I love old mills and barns. The heart is beautiful. The starfish lights are really neat. No more snow here and I hope we don't get any more.

Miccosukee said...

Love to see that snow covered old mill, but am glad I am nowhere near it. Adore the starfish lights and will love to see how you use them.

Jennie in GA said...

Sweet little hearts, and gorgeous scenery. Have to say that I am glad to admire it from afar.

Carole said...

Such a busy artist! I'm so in awe of your work. It's lovely. The of the Old Mills road is just gorgeous! Wish we had snow! It rained last night, with lightning and loud thunder. So unusual for this time of year!